Moving from File folder data to ArcGIS datastore

03-30-2018 01:56 AM
DavidRalston
New Contributor II

I'm a looking to move to data from a file folder system to an enterprise GIS system in my organisation

- How is data move from file folder system to ESRI datastore? Is this a simple transfer or do is involve relational table design etc...?

- Difference between datastore and an enterprise database?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi David,

The ArcGIS Data Store is used with ArcGIS Enterprise.  It allows you publish feature services to your Portal instance.  When publishing to the ArcGIS Data Store, your data is copied and placed in the data store and service is spun up from this data.

An enterprise geodatabase allows you take advantage of advanced geodatabase functionality such as versioning, replication, and archiving to name a few.  You call also publish feature services from an enterprise geodatabase.  When publishing from an enterprise geodatabase the data can be referenced.  This allows the edits/changes of a feature class to be reflected immediately in the service without having to re-publish your service.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi David,

Just to add onto Jake's post ...

> How is data move from file folder system to ESRI datastore? Is this a simple transfer or do is involve relational table design etc...?

You don't really manually "move" data "directly" from being stored as a file system into a "data store". First, you should understand that the term "data store" can have two meanings.

1. The concept of a "data store" - this is used by the ArcGIS Server component of ArcGIS Enterprise. It can be either a folder location or a database that stores data used to power web services in ArcGIS Server.

Register your data with ArcGIS Server using Manager—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

2. The ArcGIS Data Store - this is a component of ArcGIS Enterprise. It is used to support a hosting server deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise.

What is ArcGIS Data Store?—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

> Difference between datastore and an enterprise database?

Now that you understand the two "data store" meanings, I would adjust your question to be: "what is the difference between the ArcGIS Data Store vs enterprise geodatabases?"

Please see my answer in this thread: Enterprise Geodatabase vs File Geodatabase vs Data Store ... when to use what?

(specifically the post dated Nov 8, 2017)

Hope this helps,