Select to view content in your preferred language

Migrate stand-alone multi-machine ArcGIS Server site to new environment

08-12-2024 11:12 AM
LeeBrannon1
Regular Contributor

I am wanting to migrate a stand-alone multi-machine ArcGIS Server site to a new environment while keeping the old site up and running until the new site is ready and its DNS can be swapped.  

Is there a method for performing the site migration without having to recreate, from scratch all of your map services in the new environment? 

I know WebGISDR tool exists for helping to migrate a portal site, but it doesn't look like it is applicable to a stand-alone ArcGIS Server site.

Tags (2)
6 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

The method is to log into the Server Admin API (https://localhost:6443/arcgis/admin) and use the exportSite option. 

0 Kudos
LeeBrannon1
Regular Contributor

Thanks!  I'll definitely read up on exportSite and give it a try on an upcoming site migration.

0 Kudos
LeeBrannon1
Regular Contributor

@ReeseFacendini when I run exportSite, I don't see anything get created so how do I know if it worked?  The output folder location is empty.  I did see a message immediately that said something like server can write to export location:  Success.

Also, I did give it about 30 min to return something, but no luck.  I ran exportSite from the server administrator website.

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

The output location is for you to specify a folder that's easily accessible, and is empty by default. Make sure the account running the ArcGIS Server service has read / write permissions to the chosen folder . The export operation can take some time if there are a larger number (75+) of services published.

If you still haven't received a message of completion, I would run it again but specify the folder and see if you're able to get an export. You will also need to make sure there's enough disk space to account for the backup file to be created.

0 Kudos
LeeBrannon1
Regular Contributor

@ReeseFacendini well, still no luck with exportSite.  Nothing is created in the folder that I specified (trying different folders), which the AGS admin has full control over.

What exactly is the exportSite tool supposed to create, a .agssite file?

0 Kudos
LeeBrannon1
Regular Contributor

I finally achieved the ArcGIS Server site migration that I was wanting.  It took opening a help case with Esri Support and some trial and error using different methods, but a solution was found.  

What did not work in my case was siteExport/siteImport - spent quite a bit of time with Esri Support attempting to make these functions work, but no luck.

What did end up working successfully for me was going through a process of manually copying and pasting folders/files from the origin site to the destination site...these included the ArcGIS Server directories and config-store.  Esri Support guided me through the process step by step.

What I ended up with was two distinct, separate ArcGIS Server sites, each fully functioning, running the same published services, and that was the goal.

0 Kudos