Instance of the service 'System/PublishingTools.GPServer' crashed

01-23-2018 04:29 AM
DanielSotreanu
New Contributor III

Hi Experts,

Can you please help me troubleshoot the issue I have when I try to publish a geoprocessing service.

<Failed to publish service.>

In the server log I have:

<Msg time="2018-01-23T11:20:56,864" type="SEVERE" code="8252" source="System/PublishingTools.GPServer" process="29552" thread="125" methodName="" machine="X.COM" user="" elapsed="">Instance of the service 'System/PublishingTools.GPServer' crashed. Please see if an error report was generated in '/wm/arcgis/server/usr/logs/X.COM/errorreports'. To send an error report to Esri, compose an e-mail to ArcGISErrorReport@esri.com and attach the error report file.</Msg>
<Msg time="2018-01-23T11:21:03,442" type="SEVERE" code="8254" source="Server" process="29552" thread="1" methodName="" machine="X.COM" user="" elapsed="">The containing process for 'System/PublishingTools' job 'j4328cf116dc740f484b182b918a8b77d' has crashed.</Msg>

Many thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanielSotreanu
New Contributor III

Server Version: 10.4.1.5686
Operating System: amd64 Linux 3.8.13-118.13.3.el6uek.x86_64
Available processor cores: 4

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

If you go into ArcGIS Server Manager and go into the system folder, then stop and restart the publishing tools, does it start successfully, or do you see an error? 

0 Kudos
DanielSotreanu
New Contributor III

I tried this. It starts successfully.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

OK. I saw you posted on the thread related to the Meltdown patches. At least in the other cases, the crash happens when an ArcSOC.exe process instance starts. If you're able to start the publishing tools and you have min 1 instance running, then at the outset this doesn't seem like an issue related to those patches. With that said, I've only seen those patches affecting ArcGIS Server on Windows Server 2008r2 - so if there is an issue with another OS like a Linux box, the symptoms could conceivably be different.

0 Kudos
DanielSotreanu
New Contributor III

Thanks Randall.

I noticed it only happens when I try to publish geoprocessing (Extract_Delta_Changes) results.

Do you know how can I find more info about what is causing the crash ? Vague info in the server/service logs ...

Appreciate it. Thank you!

0 Kudos
DanielSotreanu
New Contributor III

I have reproduced the issue with <debug> log level. Here is what I got in the server log:

<Msg time="2018-01-23T16:24:33,979" type="DEBUG" code="9999" source="System/PublishingTools.GPServer" process="72095" thread="133" methodName="" machine="X.COM" user="" elapsed="">java.rmi.UnmarshalException: Error unmarshaling return header; nested exception is:
 java.io.EOFException
 at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:229)
 at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:162)
 at java.rmi.server.RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.invokeRemoteMethod(RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.java:227)
Caused by: java.io.EOFException
 at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(DataInputStream.java:267)
 at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:215)
 ... 36 more

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Does it only happen with this specific GP tool, or can you publish others, like a simple buffer?

0 Kudos
DanielSotreanu
New Contributor III

Thanks Randall. It is happening only for this tool.

I was able to resolve <java.io.EOFException> by granting Admin privs in the GIS Server to user who is publishing.

Now, I have another error and I am still not able to publish geoprocessing results:

Failed to execute: Parameters are not valid.

ERROR 000735: Server: Value is required.

Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition).

Please help with a thought.

Vara_PrasadM_S
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Daniel Sotreanu & Randall Williams,

The issue is not just with this tool. We are facing the same issue with any tool (OOTB tools also, for eg., Enable Attachments tool). The issue is with the tool "Upload Service Definition" which needs value for the input parameter "Server" (Which is mandatory) (This tool is executed in the scenes behind when a GP Service is being published by sharing the results) . Value for this parameter is not being supplied. This can be observed from below screen capture.

We published the tool (Delta_Extract_Changes, custom GP Tool) successfully in other servers (ArcGIS Desktop on Windows OS and ArcGIS Server also on Windows OS). Is it because the ArcGIS Server is installed on Linux machine and which may need any specific special permissions?

Just to test, I have written a Python script which executes UploadServiceDefinition GP tool. Below is the code of that. Through this also, UploadServiceDefinition tool failed to publish.

import arcpy
from arcpy import env

# Set environment settings
env.workspace = "C:/data"

# Set local variables
inSdFile = "ExtractDeltaChanges.sd"
inServer = "GIS Servers/MyServer"

# Execute UploadServiceDefinition
arcpy.UploadServiceDefinition_server(inSdFile, inServer)

Randall Williams, could you please throw some light on this.

Thanks in advance!

With Regards,

Vara Prasad

0 Kudos