How to tell if someone is actively editing a versioned layer

10-06-2021 11:41 AM
PamelaLocke1
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

I am fairly new to versioned editing.  I currently have multiple users editing versioned layers.  Is there a way to tell which versioned layers are being actively edited?   I need to add feature classes or make changes to some things in my gdb's, but they are "in use by another application/user."  See screenshot for error.  I am "GISOwner" and the "GISEditor" is used for the versioned editing.   I don't want to kick off someone who is editing and mess up their edits in order for me to make these changes in the gdb's. 

Thanks,

Pamela 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can open the properties for the connected database and see a table of active locks.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/manage-geodatabase-locks.ht...

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

You can view active schema locks by right clicking on the database and selecting Administer Geodatabase. In the popup, select the Locks tab and you can filter by Lock Type = Schema.  This will tell you what features are actively locked.  Depending on how the SQL rights are assigned in your organization, you may be able to see discrete usernames in the Lock Owner column.  If you don’t see usernames there, you can check out the Connections tab, where you can see who is connected to the database to narrow down your search.

From my experience, schema updates are best deployed outside of working hours or during planned maintenance windows when only you are connected to the database.  Even if users aren’t editing the exact feature class you would like to update, the dataset as a whole is locked if there are active edit sessions connected to any feature within that dataset.  (Assuming you are using datasets) Tables, I believe, are fair game if no one has a schema lock on it.

PamelaLocke1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you!  I do see all the lock types.  I was hoping there was a way to get around making changes after hours, but it is what it is!

Pamela 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Depending on the size of your department and the urgency of the work, you could just schedule a time during the day. We are a small department, so I've just told my co-workers "nobody use the database for the next hour!" and it works out fine. But I can see that being an issue in other settings.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS