Select to view content in your preferred language

How to remove HTML tags from Metadata description field

Jump to solution
07-06-2022 08:33 AM
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

When adding a description to a layer's metadata and publishing as a Map Service to Portal, the rest endpoint shows the HTML tags for the Description and makes it very difficult to read. Is there a way of removing these tags or converting the description field to a simple plain text box? This isn't the case for the summary field.

Otherwise, is there a better way of viewing individual layer metadata for a multi-layer map service other than via the rest endpoint?

David
..Maps with no limits..
13 Replies
cbp-geus
Occasional Contributor II

Brilliant! Thanks for it @David_Brooks. I'll try it out one day 😃

Christian Brogaard Pedersen
0 Kudos
CodyGarcia2
New Contributor

Thank you for this information. I was able to add a description to a layer's metadata and publish it as a Map Service to Portal without HTML tags. Unfortunately now there is only a description on the service page. When I click on the service layer to look at the layer metadata, the description is blank. Can you let me know what might have happened?

0 Kudos
ColForbin
Occasional Contributor

This workaround does remove the html tags, however I noticed that the tags that were in the Item Description section are replaced with whatever was in the Place Keywords in the Topics & Keywords section.  Is there way to export/import the metadata while leaving the tags intact?  There doesn't seem to be an option to export metadata as ArcGIS format, only "Save As" Arcgis format.

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson
Regular Contributor

We have hundreds of services... maybe a thousand even... really don't want to need any workarounds. Anyone know if this is still an issue in Enterprise 11.x?

0 Kudos