How to name an AGS service the same name as a previous service???

04-27-2017 01:13 PM
BryanHuebner
New Contributor III

I am unable to name a geocode service the same name as a previous service that has been deleted in ArcGIS Server Manager. The service definition file has been deleted, and the cache has been been cleared. I do not get the "your about to publish over an existing service" warning... yet, I still cannot publish the new service using the same name as the old one. Any variation of the name works, but not the EXACT name. I have even gone so far as to our server manager reboot the server the service is going on with no luck. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

You can try to rename the service through the ArcGIS Server Administrator API:

ArcGIS Server Administrator API 

0 Kudos
BryanHuebner
New Contributor III

Thank you for the suggestion. But, I don't have the access or permissions to accomplish something like that. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you check config-store\services and directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput for the service?

0 Kudos
BryanHuebner
New Contributor III

Thank you for responding. Have tried to follow the folder paths you suggest, but once I reach the 'directories' folder that is it - there are no further folders or files.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Bryan, keep in mind that the 'directories' directory and path Jonathan is referring to may not be on the C drive. The 'config-store' seems to always be in C, but the other can be pointed to a different drive in install.  For example, ours is on the D.  The 'directories' folder can get quite large since if also contains the caches.

you can find the path to the folder using the ArcGIS Server manager.  If you do not have permissions, I would suggest having someone with admin rights check.    This might not help with you issue, but just mentioning since you said that there was no directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput       There us a possibility that this may have been accidentally dragged to a dfferent folder using file explorer.   That happens to many of us on occasion (myself included).

BryanHuebner
New Contributor III

Thanks Rebecca! 

0 Kudos
ScottFierro2
Occasional Contributor III

So to answer your immediate question I would download the Server Admin Toolkit from this site https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=12dde73e0e784e47818162b4d41ee340 

While that will answer your issue for renaming I am not sure it will correct your issue. Sounds like JQuinn-esristaff‌ is heading down the same path I would so I will let him assist because it sounds as though there is an artifact floating in your directory folders still that is preventing you from publishing with the same name.

BryanHuebner
New Contributor III

Thanks Scott! Really appreciate the help!!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Bryan,

Try to rename the previous services if its preset using ArcGIS server admin account.

And Create a new service.

If you have already removed the old service then check in the AGS services directory  if its present or not.the  directories for proper deletion.

http://host name:6080/arcgis/admin 

If service present in admin service account then below operation help you to complete your tasks.