How to configure IIS Web Adaptor to use Windows Integrated Authentication

Jump to solution
02-19-2013 08:57 AM
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III
I've created an ArcGIS 10.1 with SP1 for Server site, installed the Web Adaptor, and registered the site with the Web Adaptor. When I connect to the ArcGIS Server Manager through IIS (port 80), I still have to log in to ArcGIS Server Manager. It seems, then, that I'm not properly configured to use Windows Integrated Authentication. What are the missing steps?

Thanks,

Jon.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBuwembo
Esri Contributor
Configuring ArcGIS server 10.1 to use web tier allows authentication pass-through when using the adaptor.
You need to make sure that in IIS the web adaptor authentication is set to windows authentication for this to work.

That stated, you will still be prompted to login to ArcGIS server manager 10.1. The pass-through is only going to work
on the REST API if security is applied to the ArcGIS server resources(services).

Instead of prompting for a login to the REST API, web adaptor will detect the credentials you are using to login to the system.
If this credential is associated with any resources in ArcGIS server, you will automatically see these resources in REST with out
a login prompt, but again ArcGIS server manager will still prompt you to provide the username/password.

I hope this information is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BubbaHey
In Server Manager, click Security.  Under Configuration Settings, click the pencil to edit. You can set it for Windows authentication using this wizard.
0 Kudos
JonathanBailey
Yes, this is what we've done (see attached image).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21991[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
PeterBuwembo
Esri Contributor
Configuring ArcGIS server 10.1 to use web tier allows authentication pass-through when using the adaptor.
You need to make sure that in IIS the web adaptor authentication is set to windows authentication for this to work.

That stated, you will still be prompted to login to ArcGIS server manager 10.1. The pass-through is only going to work
on the REST API if security is applied to the ArcGIS server resources(services).

Instead of prompting for a login to the REST API, web adaptor will detect the credentials you are using to login to the system.
If this credential is associated with any resources in ArcGIS server, you will automatically see these resources in REST with out
a login prompt, but again ArcGIS server manager will still prompt you to provide the username/password.

I hope this information is helpful.
0 Kudos
JonathanBailey
Great! Thanks for the info, Pete!

Idea posted at http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E00000004Vj1IAE to request that web tier authentication also be used for ArcGIS Server Manager.
0 Kudos