Geodatabase error: Out of client memory?

11-21-2018 08:41 AM
VitalyVogel
New Contributor

Hello ESRI community, need some help here. Trying to make a sense of an error in ArcGIS log

Geodatabase error: Out of client memory.

It is being generated by ArcGIS 10.6.1 on Windows Server 2016 when a large detailed polygon data is being submitted for intersect operation. Same process works fine when smaller/simpler polygons are being processed. We use SQL Server 2014 as a back end. Both SQL and ArcGIS machines have plenty of RAM (ArcGIS machine: 32 GB, SQL Server: 16 GB) and generously increased page file, still no help. Did anybody run to this issues? What is Out of client memory really means? What is acting as a client here?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Vitaly,

I would bet your ArcGIS client machine is running out of disk space to store the scratch files for the operation. See the technical article below:

Error: ERROR 000426: Out Of Memory 

Do you have background processing on? Sometimes that will clear this issue up without needing to do anything else. Otherwise, I would keep an eye on Task Manager when running the Intersect to see what kind of resources are being used during the process. 

Jonathan

0 Kudos
VitalyVogel
New Contributor

Jonathan,

Thank you for the suggestion, however I believe this is not the case here. I should've mentioned we're running our own web application and basically querying ArcGIS services via REST. This has been working fine on ArcGIS 10.3.1 we just upgraded to 10.6.1 and it started to fail. I monitored the memory and HDD space during the operation and both barely changed. ArcGIS machine has approximately 33 GB empty on C drive and about 245 GB on D (where ArcGIS is installed) About 12 GB of RAM was consumed out of 32 GB available. What am I missing here?

0 Kudos

Vitaly,

If you submit the same queries directly from REST and do not use the web application, do you see the same behavior? It may help to narrow this down some more if we can to rule out an issue specifically on the application side.

Jonathan

0 Kudos
VitalyVogel
New Contributor

I was able to narrow it down. I did constructed the same query and sent it via ArcGIS web UI receiving the identical error : "Unable to complete operation". After various combinations I realized which parameters were causing the failure, it is outStatistics. When not passed, the query does return the results, however we need the counts, so statistics need to work (they used to before with 10.3.1) So the issue is not with the polygon as the query does correct intersect just not returning the counts. 

Just to test, I tried a much simpler polygon and it did work as expected returning the count with outStatistics. For some reason large polygons started to cause Out of client memory exception.

Other things I've tried - increasing application server and web server memory heap size, but no luck.

0 Kudos

Hi Vitaly,

I think we need a case opened with Support to troubleshoot this. If there is an issue with outStatistics in our later versions that is not present in the earlier versions, we need to better understand it.

Can you contact Support so they can create a case for you on this?

Jonathan

0 Kudos