Feature Service editing error: Insufficient Permissions ... The EXECUTE permission was denied

Jump to solution
04-04-2023 07:51 PM
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

I have an SQL 2016 geodatabase that has been registered to our Portal (10.9.1) on a Federated Server site for years.  Until now, we have not done editing through the portal using a feature service (I've been editing through Pro directly on Default).  It's now time to change that.  We will be moving to the utility network so I need to become familiar with branch versioning.

In order to get this working for branch versioning, I had to add a new data store to the portal, although the default database was already registered to the portal.  Was this because when it was originally registered it was set to traditional?

I created a branch versioned feature service with version management checked.  I then brought the feature service into ArcGIS Pro, created a named version and switched to that.  I could update and save attributes, but when I click on the map to create a new feature, the Create Feature tool pops up this error message:

CherylTrine_0-1680662100545.png

When I check the ArcGIS Server Manager logs, it shows:

CherylTrine_1-1680662152463.png

Decided to try editing in a web map from Portal.  I could update attributes in Default (I haven't figured out how to create a version for use in a web map, yet. One step at a time 🙂 ), but when I tried to  save a new feature, the following would pop up (no more helpful than those 99999 error codes):

CherylTrine_2-1680662442787.png

The Server Manager logs showed the following:

CherylTrine_3-1680662485529.png

Where does the problem lie?

Cheryl

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CherylTrine

As Scott suggested, it was a permissions problem, although the Server account already had the role of db datareader and db datawriter.  My DBA preferred to not assign permissions at the individual database level, since all the databases on this instance are intended to work with the ArcGIS server, so he gave it the db owner role, as well.  That solved my problem.

Thanks, Scott, for the help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

It looks like the ArcGIS Server only has read-only permissons to the SQL Server?  Are you using IWA or SQL users for the connection?  Can you confirm that one or the other has edit permissions in the database?

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
CherylTrine

We are using IWA.  I have sysadmin on the overall SQL instance but nothing specified at the database level.  The ArcGIS Server account has Connect perms with DBO to the database.  I  am guessing the Server account is needing explicit permission to Execute?  Any other permission that should be made explicit for branch-versioned editing?

0 Kudos
CherylTrine

As Scott suggested, it was a permissions problem, although the Server account already had the role of db datareader and db datawriter.  My DBA preferred to not assign permissions at the individual database level, since all the databases on this instance are intended to work with the ArcGIS server, so he gave it the db owner role, as well.  That solved my problem.

Thanks, Scott, for the help.

0 Kudos