Failed to update the identity store configuration

11-21-2014 02:42 PM
JaredStewart
New Contributor II

Hello GeoNet,

My GIS department has been having trouble with our GIS server. Here is some background on our problem and environment:

We are running ArcGIS for Server 10.2.2. It's installed on a virtual machine using Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. Our User Store is using Windows Domain, our Role Store is using ArcGIS Server Built-In, our Authentication Tier is GIS Server, and our Authentication Mode is ArcGIS Tokens.

It started sometime yesterday. I don't have the exact details for how it started, as I was out sick. I came into the office today and the other two GIS admins said that their users were having problems with their Flex apps and layers not loading properly. They told me that some updates ran the night before and they were experiencing problems when they got in yesterday. I did some troubleshooting and discovered that some sublayers were not showing up in the REST API as being published I learned that all of the layers that were using a UNC path for the data source were having issues. I created a temporary folder on the server and tried to register that temporary folder via a UNC path to my server and got an error message saying that the data item is inaccessible.

Next, I checked the logs from ArcGIS Server Manager. I found the following message repeated many times:

Failed to update the identity store configuration. Failed to refresh the identity store configuration. Could not connect to the identity store as one or more of the connection parameters is incorrect. Verify that you can connect to the identity store outside of ArcGIS Server using the same parameters. [LDAP: error code 49 - 80090308: LdapErr: DSID-0C0903A9, comment: AcceptSecurityContext error, data 52e, v1db1]

Next, I went to mygisserver/arcgis/admin/security/config/updateIdentityStore to see what I could find. Under User Store Configuration, I found something that looked like this:

{

"type": "WINDOWS",

"properties": {

"adminUserPassword": "[password]",

"adminUser": "[username]"

}

}

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the identity store, so I hit the update button to see what would happen. I got the following error message:

Failed to update the identity store configuration. One or more server machines could not be updated with new user or role store configurations.

I noticed that after hitting the update button, the value for adminUserPassword changed. Pressing update again gives the following error message:

Failed to update the identity store configuration. Could not configure the identity store as one or more of the supplied parameters is incorrect. Verify that you can connect to the identity store outside of ArcGIS Server using the same parameters.

It makes sense that I'm getting this message because my password would now be incorrect, given that it changed after hitting the update button. My question is why is this happening? It seems to me that from the server logs and these error messages that there's something wrong with our identity store, but I haven't been able to find any solutions.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should try to look at next?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MiklosNadas1
New Contributor III

I had the same thing. I hope you have resolved the issue by now, but in case someone else runs across this issue, I have linked this article. The first comment really explains what needs to be done (for those who have difficulty getting to update the identities)

41622 - ArcGIS Server Site is not configured.  Code: 500

I then make sure that the password for the arcgis server account hasn't changed on the local server. Once I have verified that, I go into the identity store and update the User Store Configuration to this:

{

"type": "BUILTIN",

"properties": {

"adminUserPassword": "password",

"adminUser": "arcgisserveraccount"

}

}

The ArcGIS Server account and password are what you defined when you first set up the ArcGIS Server

My issue is caused by a Windows Domain setting, upon a reboot, the domain clears out the local user (arcgis server account) and replaced it with my domain account. The best solution is to add the arcgis server account to your Windows Active Directory, rather than repeating this every time the server reboots.

Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

after I changed my PW in active directory I cant even log in manager or admin directory. and unfortunately my PA account is disabled.... this blows..... 

0 Kudos
jorisfrenkel
Occasional Contributor II

I just ran into this problem this morning after my personal admin account got locked out and I changed the password in AD.

I solved it by following the procedure described here:

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012166

After this I still had to re-configure the security the way we had it before (roles and users from an existing Enterprise system), and then I had to re-assign the allowed groups to every map service.

0 Kudos