Failed to Connect to the Specified server.Arcgis server database connection failure

06-09-2014 06:55 AM
BezayeTesfaye
New Contributor
Hello guys,

I am currently working in Ms sql server 2008 and ArcGIS server 10.1. I made a copy of my database in Ms SQl (just not to work on my original database) and I wanted to work on this copy connecting in ArcGIS server. While trying to connect in the ArcGIS server, I am getting an error : FAILED TO CONNECT TO THE SPECIFIED SERVER. DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE? OPERATION FAILED. The new copy have the same permission as the original and its on the same server as the original one. I will be thankful if anyone can tell me how to fix this error or any suggestion 🙂

cheers,
Bezaye
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPitterle
New Contributor

I received the same error message when trying to connect to an SDE that I restored from a backup.  I successfully connected once using the following steps in SQL Server Management Studio:

Under Security > Users - delete the user

Add a the user back to the database from the list of SQL users and provide the same Database role membership

Detatch the database

Re-attach the database

I have not been able to reproduce this success on subsequent restored backups.

Anybody have an answer to this?

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

This could be two different issues actually...

Bezaye Tesfaye‌: Did you change the name of the geodatabase while making a copy? We cannot change the name of the geodatabase once created...

Dan Pitterle‌: Did you resynch the logins after restoring the backup?

29672 - Re-synch SQL Server logins or users after restoring a database from backup

0 Kudos
IrfanClemson
Occasional Contributor II

Arsujit's post on Jul 23, 2014 6:46 AM worked for me! Thanks!

I had the same error and that was because I had "renamed" the database using SQL Server Management Studio. I restored from a backup and able to connect fine.

TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

This thread is a bit older, but wanted to add a tid bit from a case I just got.  

If you happen to rename the database in SQL Server, and do not remember the original geodatabase name, you can check that in the database_name column of your sde_table_registry table.  That table hard codes the name of the database as it was when the geodatabase was created.

Methods to move a geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

I have an old backup of a database, I wanted to restore but I cant use the same name because there is already a database in the instance with that name... I renamed it but not being able to connect to it.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Joe, can you find or install another (temp) SQL instance and restore it there.  Then copy the data to where you need it?  I am not an expert, but from everything I have every seen re the SDE restores, it must be to the same name to work.  

0 Kudos