Error deploying ArcGIS Enterprise through Cloud Builder: 403 forbidden

05-07-2020 08:40 AM
NiekGoorman1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I've been trying to deploy a single-site development instance of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 through the Cloud Builder on Azure. One oddity during the process was that the Cloud Builder would not let me create new items such as a virtual network - I had to do this by going to the Azure Portal in my browser instead.

The error occurs after everything is set to go and I press 'finish' - it takes maybe 5 seconds or so before it reaches the step "Uploading automation artifacts', after which I get a 403 Forbidden error: ESRI.ArcGIS.Azure.IaaS.Jobs.DeploySiteWithAutomationJob.<StartJobAsync>d__14.MoveNext()

The subscription has the relevant permissions enabled, and a colleague in a different part of the world has managed to deploy ArcGIS Enterprise to our Azure instance (but in a different subscription). I've tried installing Cloud Builder on one of our servers as well, just to try and rule out some connection issue. Any advice is gratefully received. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ElliotJones
Esri Contributor

Hi Niek Goorman‌,

Based on this post, this may be an issue with the Azure quota issue which is described here: Azure subscription limits and quotas - Azure Resource Manager | Microsoft Docs.

Try checking the Azure Activity Log's JSON output to determine if the error you're receiving is the same.

0 Kudos
NiekGoorman1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Elliot Jones,

Thanks for your response - however it's not this issue as no message like that appears on the activity log. We are now working with one of our IT colleagues who has successfully deployed a base install of ArcGIS Enterprise as a dev server through a Terraform script. We are hoping to create a more advanced script that can do a multi-machine production deployment - if you know of any examples of such a script that would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
ElliotJones
Esri Contributor

Understood. I'm not familiar with Terraform, but one popular and well-documented route to programmatically deploy a multi-machine environment is through the use of Chef Server scripts. Fair warning here - Chef scripts are not supported by Esri support, so you'll have to rely on the documentation and outside resources if you run into issues. 

0 Kudos