Enterprise Cloud Builder Error During Deployment

03-11-2019 12:11 PM
MichaelHamsa
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to run the Cloud Builder for Azure and I'm running into an error after it run for about an hour and 45 minutes.

"code": "VMExtensionProvisioningTimeout",
        "message": "Provisioning of VM extension 'DSCConfiguration0' has timed out. Extension installation may be taking too long, or extension status could not be obtained."

I can provide the detailed log files.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
HarroldSompotan
Esri Contributor

HiMichael Hamsa, a related case I've seen on this was due to a "space" in the license file name:

example: portal - keycodes.ecp. or server - keycodes.ecp. Try removing the spaces and re-deploy again. 

If the issue persist, please share the detailed logs on the tread. 

#arcgis licensing 

0 Kudos
MichaelHamsa
Occasional Contributor

Harrold,

Thank you – I’ll give that a try now.

Question: Can I just run back through the Cloud Builder with the same deployment?

Thanks again,

Mike Hamsa

Chief Technology Officer - GeoSpatial Innovations, Inc.

P: 512-982-6735

0 Kudos
MichaelHamsa
Occasional Contributor

Harrold,

Well after a closer look, neither of my license files has any spaces in the name:

ArcGISGISServerAdvanced_ArcGISServer_738870.prvc

PortalforArcGIS_738869.prvc

I went ahead and attached the detailed log files to this post.

0 Kudos
MichaelHamsa
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Any ideas on this one? I don't think we're doing anything special on the Azure side; I really just let the Cloud Builder create all of the Azure resources it needed, so I'm assuming it should just run through.

Has this sort of thing happened before?

Should I blow all of these Azure Resources away and just try again?

Just checking - any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mike... 

0 Kudos
HarroldSompotan
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael,

I didn't find anything strange other than the licenses below. It appears that all of the Enterprise stack is created. If possible, before you blow the resources away, can you check to see if the machines are actually up and running? I understand that the software may not be there, but in some cases, those resources or machines are up and running and you can maybe check to see if there is any discrepancies in the licenses they were authorized for:

You can you verify if the licenses you have are for the proper version? 

on the machines you can navigate to this location and view the file:

C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.6\sysgen\keycodes. 

[03/11/2019 10:52:55] [03/11/2019 10:00:30] [VERBOSE] [fsWebGIS-Pri]:                           

[[ArcGIS_Portal]Portal] Version of Portal is 10.6.1

[03/11/2019 09:57:05] [03/11/2019 09:50:33] [VERBOSE] [fsWebGIS-Pri]:                           

[[ArcGIS_Server]Server] Version of ArcGIS Server is 10.6

The other thing you can do is just try deploying a single Arcgis server machine "GIS Server" via Cloud Builder, just to isolate the issue being some kinds of resources or any other. 

If the license is not the issue, I suggest opening a support case with Technical Support. 

Thanks,

Harrold. 

0 Kudos
MichaelHamsa
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Just to follow up on this, in case someone else runs into a similar problem, I think the issue was that the password I specified for the "Machine Administrator" did not meet Azure's minimum password requirements - it was too short - and the Cloud Builder didn't catch this as I was running through the wizard. I'm pretty sure that it was failing while setting up the Azure VM because of the password problem.

Once I set a password that met Azure's minimum requirements for an admin account on a VM, it was successful.

One other item I noticed is that I changed the resource prefix from rr (default) to gs and the Virtual Machine that the Cloud Builder created as part of my deployment has the prefix rr (instead of gs). Just a minor issue, and from what I can tell hasn't caused any issues, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Mike...

0 Kudos