Does ArcGIS Server deployment require an existing relational database (SQL Server) or could I deploy with only existing File GDBs?

04-13-2017 11:02 AM
deleted-user-sBBlTZilBs4n
New Contributor II

Greetings,

I am an analyst and far being from a DBA tasked with looking into implementing an Enterprise set up for our office. I am trying to understand how an ArcGIS for Server deployment might work for us. We currently do not have an existing DBMS for our GIS data, so I am wondering whether building a DBMS is required for an ArcGIS for Server deployment or if there might be a workaround such as using Esri's File GDBs.

Thank you,

An Overwhelmed Analyst

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You won't need an enterprise geodatabase or database if you don't plan on using feature services.  You can publish map services from file geodatabase or shapefile data.  If you're looking into ArcGIS Enterprise, you can use the ArcGIS Data Store as your backend database.  That will allow you to publish hosted feature services without needing a DBA to manage the database.

New Contributor II

Thank you, Jonathan. This is very helpful. It is desirable for us to publish hosted feature services. Specifically, we would require these services to be hosted locally. Therefore, can we deploy the ArcGIS Data Store locally on our LAN and still not have an existing DBMS for this disconnected architecture? 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Definitely, you'll install ArcGIS Data Store on a machine within your network, register it with ArcGIS Server, federate the Server with Portal, set the Server as the hosting server, and you'll be able to publish hosted services.

New Contributor II

Fantastic! Thank you so much!

0 Kudos