Do i need a site for multiple arcgis server

Jump to solution
03-24-2017 06:56 AM
MauricioRamirez1
New Contributor

I'm setting up a couple of ArcGIS servers behind an NginX Load Balancer.  I talked to ESRI, and they said the load balancer does the same as the web adaptor, so it's not required.  My question now is do I need to create one site, or can each server have it's own site?  What's the benefit of creating a site.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The documentation regarding site configurations should help clarify things.  For example, the Web Adaptor can be used as the load balancer for your site, which requires you to configure a multi-machine site using shared config-store and directories paths.  If you're concerned with redundancy and availability, you can take a look at single machine sites behind the load balancer.  There's a bit more maintenance involved this these types of architectures but they eliminate one of the single points of failure in the shared config-store.  Certain directories paths will still need to be shared to give clients consistent experiences.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The documentation regarding site configurations should help clarify things.  For example, the Web Adaptor can be used as the load balancer for your site, which requires you to configure a multi-machine site using shared config-store and directories paths.  If you're concerned with redundancy and availability, you can take a look at single machine sites behind the load balancer.  There's a bit more maintenance involved this these types of architectures but they eliminate one of the single points of failure in the shared config-store.  Certain directories paths will still need to be shared to give clients consistent experiences.

MauricioRamirez1
New Contributor

The single machine site is exactly the configuration we're looking for.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Creating one site for multiple servers (cluster) also helps in load balancing among participating servers. Also it will have a common config store.

More info About ArcGIS Server clusters—ArcGIS Server Administration (Windows) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Multiple-machine deployment with GIS server clusters—Installation Guides (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Single-machine deployment—Installation Guides (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Check the Pros and Cons of both the scenarios and choose the best option as per your need.

Think Location
0 Kudos