Desktop 10.4.1 Licensing Stability

01-20-2017 10:35 AM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

Has anyone noticed the flexnet structure becoming corrupt more so than usual?

I ask this because we have started to move from 10.2.2 to 10.4.1 and the licensing seems to more unstable. We just had two VMs today that the licensing for no apparent reason went "untrusted". Now i know there is a little site from ESRI that they dont like the licensing to be on VMs as they are more unstable than physical machines...but thats just not an option for us, at least not at this time.

so i was just curious if others were running into this and any possible solutions to make the licensing more stable.

thanks

Dave 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the ability to upgrade to 10.5 instead of 10.4.1 as 10.5 is now out?  My organization plans on upgrading from 10.3.1 to 10.5 so I would be interested in knowing if this behavior occurs in 10.5 as well.

0 Kudos
DaveTenney

we have taken the upgrade approach of "n-1" where n = newest version.

we will from this point forward remain one step behind the latest version of ESRI software. 

It would be interesting to hear from ESRI if this is an issue they know about or if they are hearing more and more about.

dave

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

We upgraded to 10.5, including adding some Pro concurrent seats, and we have not had any issues.  I skipped over 10.4.1, not due to any known issue, but more because of coordinating/timing with all the users.  We have users using versions 9.1 (maybe) thru 10.5

i can't say for sure about whether the servers it is installed on (three different machines) are virtual or not.  I only log into them remotely, and I know they are not separate physical machines.   In the past, we refereed to them using IP addresses and had a separate port for outside the firewall.   We know refer to them using the machine name and no longer have a special port.

---

btw, I was able to delete you comments regarding this in the other thread.  Just FYI.

DaveTenney

in regards to general upgrading...

i thought when upgrading Desktop you were supposed to be able to keep all your database connections and server connections, is this not the case?

i have noticed when upgrading from 10.2.2 to 10.3.1 and/or 10.4.1 we lose all database connections and server connections.

dave

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you had  .sde,.ags , .wms etc connections in the default location in the previous versions, they should copy over, but you should find them in a path similar to

C:\Users\<usename>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.3\ArcCatalog

and you you be able to copy them to the new folder for the newer version.  If they were not in the default folder, you may also need to let the system know where they are (or copy them to the folder)

It doesn't necessarily remember what drives you had mapped in Catalog, but you should be able to remap/connect them hopefully.  If the folders are mapped to a letter, that is pretty easy.  If mapped to a UNC path, it might take a little more work.  

0 Kudos