Data Store Validation and Creating Timeout

Jump to solution
03-12-2020 02:32 PM
LoganSuhr_PSE
New Contributor III

I am trying to register a new database from a federated server (the SQL Server machine) in ArcGIS Server Manager without luck.  At the same time, I am not able to validate my existing data stores like the ArcGIS Data Store.  I feel like these issues are related but I don't know where to start troubleshooting.  SQL Server permissions?  IIS?  

I've tried both the web environment and the Data Store Manager in Pro.  No luck.

In the browser, I am connecting to Server Manager on the AGS machine on local port 6443. ("myserver".local:6443/arcgis/manager/site.html)

Internet Explorer is not my default browser.

IIS Authentication on the AGS machine:

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Logan Suhr‌,

Thanks a lot for sharing the details. I completely understand your concerns associated to security (as I am bound by that a lot of times as well). However, these logs would do as well.

After checking the logs, I noticed that the following message kind of prompts many times:

"Validating access to the data store ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD=00022e68377636594f654c3349626674776979525236304b544b6e48764a756b774f4b344d6476674f6851523579413d2a00;SERVER=*MY_SERVER*.LOCAL;INSTANCE=sde:postgresql:*MY_SERVER*.LOCAL,9876;DBCLIENT=postgresql;DB_CONNECTION_PROPERTIES=*MY_SERVER*.LOCAL,9876;DATABASE=db_0m5e1;USER=hsu_zmk63;VERSION=sde.DEFAULT;AUTHENTICATION_MODE=DBMS of type CONNECTION_STRING"

This is the validation string for ArcGIS DataStore when it is registered with ArcGIS server.This string is present at several locations.

The few locations are:

• ArcGIS Server ADMIN Endpoint > data > items > enterpriseDatabases > AGS_<Data Store name> edit
  • C > arcgisserver > config-store > data > dsconnections.lst

You can copy these to as different location and run a comparison (easiest Diffchecker - Online diff tool to compare text to find the difference between two text files ).

You can also try the following:

• Restart ArcGIS DataStore Service
  • Try Validating ArcGIS DataStore from ArcGIS Server ADMIN Endpoint (this should show the exact error message)
  • Try Restarting "PublishingToolEx" (This can only be done from ArcGIS Server ADMIN Endpoint > services > System)

Additionally, I would also checked the logs for any messages associated to validation of SQL Server but couldn't find any. Did we replicate that problem as well and then checked the logs.

Furthermore, looking into the point since when this problem surfaced would also help, as in If it was working before and now its not working (Were there any environment changes made during that time, which could cause this).

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ArchitSrivastava

Hello Logan Suhr‌,

There a few points where we can start looking, however I would like to clarify when you say "I am not able to validate my existing data stores like the ArcGIS Data Store" , is it ESRI's ArcGIS Data Store of any other Enterprise Database like SQL registered as Database to ArcGIS Server?

Additionally, It would also help looking into the following:

• What authentication are you using when using SQL Server Connection? (Database or Windows or does both cause issues)
  • What is the Version of ArcGIS Enterprise and SQL Server you are trying to register?
  • Are you able to register any other Database from the same SQL Server Instance? (Is the issue specific to this database)
  • Switching ArcGIS Server logging level to "DEBUG" and then perform the same workflow, these will help us in understanding the point of failure? (Would be great if you can share that)

Additionally, I also wanted to mention that as per the screenshot shared. For Portal Web Adaptor you have Enabled both "Windows Authentication" and "Anonymous Authentication", that is not the correct configuration. As per my understanding it should be either of that.

If you are using AD/"Windows Authentication" with ArcGIS Enterprise Portal, then "Anonymous Authentication" should be disabled and if you are using Portal Tier then "Windows Authentication" should be disabled.

I think having both of them enabled is a correct configuration to have.

Hope it helps!

0 Kudos
LoganSuhr_PSE
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response.  I'll try and comment on each point.

• I was simply trying to validate the Esri ArcGIS Data Store installed with Enterprise.
  • I am using a database connection to SQL Server.  I have Window Auth on the SQL Server, but in this instance, I am publishing a utility network with a database connection.
  • We are running AGS 10.7.1 and SQL Server 2017 (build 14.0.1000.169)
  • At the moment, this is the only database that exists on this server.  So I can't really test it.
  • I switched to Debug logging and could share the log, but I'm concerned about privacy.  I replaced my server name with *MY_SERVER* in the attached log file.

I'll play with the authorization settings.  Would this have an impact on validation?

0 Kudos
ArchitSrivastava

Hello Logan Suhr‌,

Thanks a lot for sharing the details. I completely understand your concerns associated to security (as I am bound by that a lot of times as well). However, these logs would do as well.

After checking the logs, I noticed that the following message kind of prompts many times:

"Validating access to the data store ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD=00022e68377636594f654c3349626674776979525236304b544b6e48764a756b774f4b344d6476674f6851523579413d2a00;SERVER=*MY_SERVER*.LOCAL;INSTANCE=sde:postgresql:*MY_SERVER*.LOCAL,9876;DBCLIENT=postgresql;DB_CONNECTION_PROPERTIES=*MY_SERVER*.LOCAL,9876;DATABASE=db_0m5e1;USER=hsu_zmk63;VERSION=sde.DEFAULT;AUTHENTICATION_MODE=DBMS of type CONNECTION_STRING"

This is the validation string for ArcGIS DataStore when it is registered with ArcGIS server.This string is present at several locations.

The few locations are:

• ArcGIS Server ADMIN Endpoint > data > items > enterpriseDatabases > AGS_<Data Store name> edit
  • C > arcgisserver > config-store > data > dsconnections.lst

You can copy these to as different location and run a comparison (easiest Diffchecker - Online diff tool to compare text to find the difference between two text files ).

You can also try the following:

• Restart ArcGIS DataStore Service
  • Try Validating ArcGIS DataStore from ArcGIS Server ADMIN Endpoint (this should show the exact error message)
  • Try Restarting "PublishingToolEx" (This can only be done from ArcGIS Server ADMIN Endpoint > services > System)

Additionally, I would also checked the logs for any messages associated to validation of SQL Server but couldn't find any. Did we replicate that problem as well and then checked the logs.

Furthermore, looking into the point since when this problem surfaced would also help, as in If it was working before and now its not working (Were there any environment changes made during that time, which could cause this).

Hope this helps!

LoganSuhr_PSE
New Contributor III

Thank you so much!  I learned quite a lot in following your suggestions.  

In the end, the IT group rebooted the entire machine due to maintenance and it cleared up the issue.  I was able to successfully register my database.  I now have a lot more education to pursue before I feel comfortable with diving deeper into AGS!

If something else comes up, I'll post again. I'm good for now.  Thank you.

ArchitSrivastava

Thanks for the response Logan Suhr‌.

Glad I could help!

0 Kudos