Created user in Enterprise Portal, cannot sign on

06-03-2021 12:04 PM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

We are working with the new Workforce application in ArcGIS for Enterprise.  I have created a new 'headless' user account through the 'add built-in portal members' option, specifying the username and password, as there is no enterprise login (no email address) for this user.  We use the headless account in the various python assignment scripts available on GitHub, for use in a task manager, etc.  Whenever I try to sign on to Portal with this new username and password, I keep getting prompted for credentials.  I can see the user in the Members page in Portal and access the various manage and view options for this user profile.  I even went so far as to reset the original password, but I am still unable to sign on.  We have used the same idea in AGOL successfully.  I hope this is something simple I am overlooking.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey there Jay,

Thank you for dropping a line! Does you ArcGIS Enterprise deployment primarily use built in accounts for its authentication? Also do you see any strange calls being returned in chrome dev tools?

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hi Jon, We use the enterprise Active Directory as the primary authentication tool.  I run the Python script in Python Command Prompt window.  Nothing shows in the Edge dev tools.  If I insert my Windows user credentials in the command string, the script authenticates and reads the CSV file, then throws a invalid token error suggesting the specified geocoder is a problem.  Thanks, Jay

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

If you're using (primarily) SAML2 accounts, then I would normally expect to see SAML2 and in-built options turned on in the security page on the Organisation > Settings >  Security tab.  Have you turned in build accounts off by any chance?  You can still create in built users but not be able to log in if you have?  Would be worth making sure that both  are enabled:

ScottTansley2_0-1622760053005.png

Scott Tansley
Consulting Architect (ArcGIS Enterprise)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hi Scott,  We authenticate using Windows and Active Directory.  In Enterprise, users can create their own built-in accounts now, that was turned off.  My AGOL screen looks like this:

JayHodny_0-1623072019016.png

If I place my Windows credentials in the script command line, the script authenticates, reads the CSV file, and then throws an invalid token error suggesting an issue with the geocoder.

0 Kudos