“By attribute” conflict definition still detects spatial change (like moving a feature),

Jump to solution
01-26-2017 02:54 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

“By attribute” conflict definition still detects spatial change (like moving a feature),

For example, if a feature class is moved in the parent and child versions and the “by attribute” is chosen as conflict definition, then why the ArcGIS detects this spatial change (moving the same feature)? I was assuming that “by attribute” conflict definition considers the change on the same “cell” of the attribute of parent and child as a conflict and has nothing to do with the spatial change. Am I correct?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
12 Replies
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal - Your first statement is correct. ObjectID 2829 was modified by two users, but modifications occurred to different fields. By Object is a conflict, by attribute is not a conflict.

Your second example has the editors editing different ObjectIDs, so no conflicts of either type would be detected. If however, both editors were to edit the same attribute on the same ObjectID than By Object and By Attribute would both return conflicts.

-Adam Z

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Perfect. Can I then conclude that the “by attribute” is a special case of “by object”? in other words, the “by object” considers editing the same record (regardless the field) by different users as a conflict. In return, the “by attribute” considers that editing the same “cell” by different users as a conflict while it has nothing to do if different fields for same record are edited.

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Precisely, by attribute is a more granular look at a By Object selection.

-Adam Z