Being prompted to log in to REST services directory, Non-administrator logins cause redirect loop

Jump to solution
02-17-2021 06:53 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

EDIT: This post was previously titled "Links on REST services directory loop back to main directory page", but after researching, I have updated the title to be more indicative of the issue. 

The main issues are:

1. Portal is now prompting users to log in to see any subdirectories in the REST services directory (it used to be publicly accessible), and

2. When I log in with a non-administrator account, I am stuck in a redirect loop where all of the subdirectory links take me back to the main directory. Built-in and Enterprise administrator accounts do not cause the same behavior. 

------

I have recently deployed Portal in our beta environment (10.7.1 - both Portal and Server). The hosting server's rest services page is here: https://castg.dep.state.fl.us/arcgis/rest/services

Any time I try to click any subdirectory links, I am redirected back to the parent directory page (the same one linked above):

Mary_GraceMcClellan2_0-1613573613131.png

I have seen this behavior before with this page, but it seems like it occurs intermittently. Now I'm unsure if it has ever been resolved, or if I've just assumed the problem was resolved because I'm able to use direct links to REST endpoints. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I want to comment that this was resolved by simply restarting the Portal machines. I'm still not sure what caused the issue, but a hard restart on each machine in the HA configuration seems to have done the trick. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When I am clicking on the folder, the "returnurl" looks fine.

Jayanta_Poddar_1-1613580407962.png

What happens when you are logged into the organization, and then click on the folder link? Do you still face the similar issue?

Think Location
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

While I've been researching this issue, it appears that the problem does not occur when I'm logged in as an administrator/built in account. It only seems to occur when I'm logged in using my Enterprise (Active Directory) account. 

0 Kudos
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

Are there any domains in Allow Origins under the portal security settings?

CraigRussell_2-1613603045755.png

I've seen some quirky behaviour like this with the REST service directory in situations where domains have been added to Allow Origins but the ArcGIS Server domain is missing.  By default all domains are allowed, but if you add any to this list then the ArcGIS Server domain must also be included.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We don't have any domains there - maybe I should try adding the server domain just in case? 

0 Kudos
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

Hi Mary

Its unlikely to have any effect because no domains listed = all domains allowed.  It isn't an issue to try out provided there aren't applications on other domains trying to connect to the ArcGIS REST API using CORS.

Do you have the same issue if you bypass the web adaptor to access the services directory?  i.e. https://server.domain.com:6443/arcgis/rest/services

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I want to comment that this was resolved by simply restarting the Portal machines. I'm still not sure what caused the issue, but a hard restart on each machine in the HA configuration seems to have done the trick.