Authorize ArcGIS server in Ubuntu

11-17-2021 12:53 PM
ann_luki
New Contributor II

Hi, 

I've been trying to launch an ArcGIS enterprise instance on AWS using Ubuntu, and I ran into a problem. I'm using this tutorial (https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/cloud/amazon/administer-amazon-ec2-ubuntu-with-remote...) and I've gotten stuck on the beginning of step 9. 

There seems no way for me to authorize the server. I wrote in sudo authorizescript however it asks me for a password, and here is the problem. I don't ever remember being given a password for the arcgis user. For the Windows version, it says that the password is randomly generated (here) I suspect it might be the same for Ubuntu however there are no instructions on how to bypass this. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are using the AWS Marketplace Esri Enterprise AMI (containing ArcGIS Server, Portal for ArcGIS, and ArcGIS DataStore), change users from the default of ubuntu to arcgis (i.e. su arcgis).  Run the authorizeSoftware tool without using sudo.  The software was installed using the arcgis user account, and that account has full permissions to all tools.

ann_luki
New Contributor II

Hi thank you for your reply,

I changed users from ubuntu to arcgis using the sudo command. I tried running authorizeSoftware (without sudo) however it says "Command not found" and I can not find it anywhere...

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

You need to navigate to the tools folder as the arcgis user ( /arcgis/server/tools/authorizeSoftware ), then follow the steps from the link you posted above or think link, which outlines the required parameters to license ArcGIS Server

ann_luki
New Contributor II

Ah yes, I did that. My last question would be where I can find the ArcGIS server authorization file?

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

All authorization files (ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Desktop) are generated within MyEsri.  The AWS AMIs are BYOL (bring your own license) and only come with the software installed, not fully licensed (as there are many levels based upon need / pricing).

ann_luki
New Contributor II

Yes that's very true! Slipped my mind completely, thank you. How would I go about buying this license and then applying it to the AMI? (Last last question sorry!)

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

You will need to contact Esri Sales to get started.  Go to this link and fill out the form: https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-enterprise/overview#contact 

0 Kudos