ARCMap 10.4 crashing when adding basemaps

07-26-2017 07:20 AM
MargaretZhang
New Contributor

When I try to add in a base layer, the whole program crashes. I tried clearing cache and unchecked enable hardware acceleration but the problem still persists. I have access to this program through my university, so the program is not installed into the computer, instead I download it each time from my school's website. Is anyone else having these problems or have an suggestions as to how to fix this? Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I have access to this program through my university, so the program is not installed into the computer, instead I download it each time from my school's website.

Are you referring to ArcMap? Does it mean you are using ArcMap in a Remote Desktop?

Meanwhile, check if the graphics card driver is updated. Also check-out the probable issues and workarounds given in the following blog. Troubleshooting issues adding ArcGIS Online basemaps to ArcMap | Support Services Blog 

Think Location
0 Kudos
MargaretZhang
New Contributor

Yes, I'm referring to ArcMap in a Remote Desktop. I will try out some of the suggestions in the link. Thanks!

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Disable Hardware Acceleration on the machine which has arcmap installed on it. Customize > ArcMap Options > Data View Tab, uncheck Hardware Acceleration.

~Shan
0 Kudos
ANANDC
by
New Contributor III
Here is another possible fix that can speed up Imagery caching in your local machine.
Try connecting to the service layers through creating a GIS Server Connection in ArcCatalog.
Here is how to do this:
  1. Open ArcCatalog.
  2. Expand GIS Servers.
  3. Double click Add ArcGIS Server.
  4. Select Use GIS services and click Next.
  5. For Server URL, type http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services and use arcgis online credentials to login (This is the URL needed for ArcCatalog. This will not work in the internet browser.) 
  6. Click Finish.
  7. Expand the Server connection and drag one of the service layers (basemap) into ArcMap.
0 Kudos