ArcGIS Server vs Versioning

01-22-2018 11:20 PM
ManojGarg
New Contributor II

Hello Team,

I am struggling to find information about Web GIS (Portal or ArcGIS Server) supporting versioning workflow like in ArcMap.

Does any one has any details how versioning workflows (multi user editing same features in different versions, posting, reconcile, conflict) are supported in webgis? Are there any limitation or cons of that?

Any details you can provide will be approciated.

Many Thanks

Manoj

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Manoj,

There is no "ArcGIS Server vs Versioning" comparison to be made.

When you view a map in ArcMap and you're accessing data from an enterprise geodatabase (which has versioned datasets), you connect to a specific version in the geodatabase. When you publish the map, either as a map service or feature service, the web service accesses the enterprise geodatabase data via the version that was specified. This is used throughout the rest of the WebGIS stack.

Versioning behavior (e.g., editing workflows) is honored and works at the enterprise geodatabase tier.

Hope this helps,

ManojGarg
New Contributor II

Thanks Derek. I fully understand and I was not comparing enterprise GIS (Web) with versioning. I do understanding that versioning will be honoured but will that be similar to what is available on ArcMap or will it have some limitataion on the web.

Thanks

MAnoj

0 Kudos
CattyannCampbell
Occasional Contributor II

With respect to editing the enterprise geodatabase version on the web you will be working with the same version that's specified similar to how it is in ArcMap although the web editing tools are quite different.

DerekLaw

Hi Manoj,

> I do understanding that versioning will be honoured but will that be similar to what is available on ArcMap or will it have some limitataion on the web.

Basically you would just be working with the version specified when the web service was published. You can edit features through that version, but there are no reconcile/post capabilities with web editing.

FYI: The ArcGIS API for JavaScript also enables you to switch/change a version, if you were to deploy a custom web app. There is a property called "gdbVersion" you can access for feature layers,

https://jscore.esri.com/javascript/3/jsapi/featurelayer-amd.html#featurelayer1

Hope this helps,

ManojGarg
New Contributor II

Thanks Derek,

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Bill,

> How does the new branch versioning tie into this workflow?

I checked with the Utility Network Dev team on your question and I've been told that the behavior is the same for web app clients. However, right now - from the help topic you mentioned, under limitations: "Can be used only in ArcGIS Pro ... "

Hope this helps,

Nicholas_Hansen
New Contributor

Hi Manoj,

In regards to your original question, did the link referenced by Bill Fox, i.e. Branch Versioning, provide a possible solution? I am looking for workflow examples where branch versioning has been implemented.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos