ArcGIS Server - Publishing live time layer as Map Service with "Has Live Data: true"

Jump to solution
02-09-2018 01:45 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I'd like to publish a time layer which would be updated quite frequently and being able to view the updates live.

In ArcMap I see an option in my point layer properties, Time tab, which reads "Data chages frequently so calcuate time extent automatically".

If I then publish the mxd with the time layer to my ArcGIS Server (10.3.1) as a Map Service, in REST I see under Time Info a voice which reads "Has Live Data: true".

I am assuming this implies that if I (e.g.) update my layer from ArcMap with new features and relative new date in the field used as Time, the time extent should update automatically.

At the moment, I tried adding a new point and a new date, but in my REST, after clearing the browser cache, I don't see any change.

Maybe it's just a matter of how frequently they are updated?

Is it correct?

As a note: my data are registered with the server, so when I (e.g.) add a new point in the feature class from ArcMap, I can confirm I see the new added point from the JavaScript viewer in REST. So the new date should be there as well, but my "time extent" is not updated with the new date I insert in the Time field.

Am I missing something or is it just that this is not something feasible?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

good

can you pls try "?returnUpdates=true" parameter with the layer resource request e.g.

http://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/Hurricanes/MapServer/0?returnUpdates=true... 

this should return updated time-extent.

'HasLiveData' at the layer resources basically means you can submit '?returnUpdates' parameter with layer resources to retrieve updated time-extent when the layer is authored with 'Data chages frequently so calcuate time extent automatically' checked in ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro.

ref: search for 'HasLiveData' in Layer / Table—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developers 

hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

Stream Service feat better on this case Stream services—Real-time Data Feeds and Sensors (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Also see the differences between Feature Service and Stream Service for real time data.

Alternative

use feature collection layer and query the feature layer every YY time based on the date field in order to update the data.

Feature collection | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.23 

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Thanks ppapadopoulosmarathondata-gr-esridist‌ for the feedback.

Unfortunately, using GeoEvent Server is not a viable solution in my case, so I suppose I would put stream service apart.

Also, before using the JS API ,I'd like to know if there's a way to do it with (let's say) the standard tools, like the procedure I described in my thread.

Just to know if it is feasible, otherwise I think I would go for another way (like the second you described).

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

if you restart your map service, do you see updated time extent?

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

ahoque-esristaff

Yes, I do!

Interesting.

How could I have it updating without the need to do so?

I registered the data with the server not to publish the map service all the time I add/remove points and time attributes to my data.

I don't get that "Has Live Data: true" option.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

good

can you pls try "?returnUpdates=true" parameter with the layer resource request e.g.

http://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/Hurricanes/MapServer/0?returnUpdates=true... 

this should return updated time-extent.

'HasLiveData' at the layer resources basically means you can submit '?returnUpdates' parameter with layer resources to retrieve updated time-extent when the layer is authored with 'Data chages frequently so calcuate time extent automatically' checked in ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro.

ref: search for 'HasLiveData' in Layer / Table—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developers 

hope this helps.