ArcGIS Server Properties (data store): ???the data item is an inaccessible???,

12-21-2012 06:56 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
ArcGIS Server Properties (data store): ???the data item is an inaccessible???,

I tried to register the folder and the database to avoid copying them to the server in the publishing process. The registration process failed in I got the message ???the data item is an inaccessible??? as shown in the screenshot below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20134[/ATTACH]

What might be the problem?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (2)
3 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Jamal,

Registering your databases and data directories does not grant the ArcGIS Server account permissions to access your data. You'll need to give the ArcGIS Server account at least read permissions to any folder or database that you register.

Also, your trying to register a file geodatabase which means your supposed to register the folder that it resides in. The dialog to register databases that you're in, is meant for SDE geodatabases. See Registering your data with ArcGIS Server using ArcGIS for Desktop. Grant the ArcGIS Server account permissions to the folder, prior to registering the folder. See Making your data accessible to ArcGIS Server.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,

Registering your databases and data directories does not grant the ArcGIS Server account permissions to access your data. You'll need to give the ArcGIS Server account at least read permissions to any folder or database that you register.

Also, your trying to register a file geodatabase which means your supposed to register the folder that it resides in. The dialog to register databases that you're in, is meant for SDE geodatabases. See Registering your data with ArcGIS Server using ArcGIS for Desktop. Grant the ArcGIS Server account permissions to the folder, prior to registering the folder. See Making your data accessible to ArcGIS Server.

Best,
Eric

Thank you Eric for the answer.

In my current case, the data is stored on the client machine (named P1) while the ArcGIS sever is installed on the server machine (named P2). These two machines are connected by network workgroup without domain.

Then how can I grant the ArcGIS Server Account (which is on the P2 machine p- server machine) permissions on a folder on the P1 machine knowing that these two computers are connected by workgroup (not by domain)?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21475[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]21476[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]21477[/ATTACH]

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

The data needs to be referenced with its UNC path in order to be approachable internally from everywhere

Jamal Numan