ArcGIS Server Error Meaning

04-28-2016 02:24 PM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I received the error "java.lang.OutofMemortError: Java heap space".

Does anyone know what this error means?

Does anyone know how to fix this type of error?

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try increasing the SOC Max. Heap Size as suggested in

10.1 - Error handling service request: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Think Location
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

You can change two parameters in admin ags:

The heap size controls the maximum file size that can be sent to and from the GIS server so if an user perform a query with result sets in excess of 64MB you have an error and need increase this value.

In app server heap size set the max memory (Xmx) that allocate for app server java (javaw.exe process provide basic application server functionality and the ability to host web services). If this process force to perform garbage collection frequently you have possible indicator for increase this parameter.

You can see that a javaw.exe process is associated with ArcGIS Server by looking at the Command Line column in Windows Task Manager. If the path includes the ArcGIS installation directory, you know it's a process associated with ArcGIS Server. You can derive further information about each process by examining its full command.

For details on heap size and dimension of heap size you can see this links:

https://codecurmudgeon.com/wp/2012/05/java-memory-settings-jvm-heap-size/

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1651225/how-to-choose-the-jvm-heap-size

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Personally, instead of upping the heap space I'd try to optimize the query. 64 megs is a huge response.

0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Randall, I agree but you could receive this error with a simple request rest query with returnIdsOnly ( there is no limit on the number of object IDs returned in the ID array response )

I have generated about 8000000 oids

In some server with high number of services I had 'Unable to process request. Error handling service request :Cannot obtain a free instance.; nested exception is: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded'. ( GC overhead limit exceeded – Plumbr ) so I had also the need change 'app server maximum heap size' for allocate more memory.

0 Kudos