ArcGIS Portal/Server/Datastore Backups

Jump to solution
01-28-2020 08:58 AM
BrettFrahm
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Everyone,

I have been tasked with creating scheduled backups of our enterprise infrastructure for my organization and I have found 3 separate backup utilities that I can use. After looking into each of these, I am unsure if there is any overlap with them. Since our organization has all our servers federated to our Portal, do I only need to do the Enterprise backup or will I need to do the Datastore and AGS backup separately? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Brett Frahm‌,

I agree, if you have a full enterprise base deployment then the webgisdr utility is likely the best option. The webgisdr utility creates a backup of portal, server and data store. The utility outputs one backup file which can then be used to restore each enterprise component. 

As you may have seen in the documentation if you want to create incremental backups you will need to enable point-in-time-recovery for the relation data store. Point-in-time-recovery can be enabled using the 'changedbproperties' data store command line utility.

ArcGIS Data Store command utility reference—Portal for ArcGIS (10.8) | Documentation for ArcGIS Ente... 

Thanks,

Thomas.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Brett,

Good question, your first item in your list is your most comprehensive. As this will include your AGS and Datastore backups as well as the content information from your Portal install.

I have setup on my machines a scheduled task to do a full-backup weekly; with incremental daily.

ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Brett Frahm‌,

I agree, if you have a full enterprise base deployment then the webgisdr utility is likely the best option. The webgisdr utility creates a backup of portal, server and data store. The utility outputs one backup file which can then be used to restore each enterprise component. 

As you may have seen in the documentation if you want to create incremental backups you will need to enable point-in-time-recovery for the relation data store. Point-in-time-recovery can be enabled using the 'changedbproperties' data store command line utility.

ArcGIS Data Store command utility reference—Portal for ArcGIS (10.8) | Documentation for ArcGIS Ente... 

Thanks,

Thomas.