Select to view content in your preferred language

ARCGIS OpenStreetMap

04-02-2024 09:04 AM
RipaliBatra
New Contributor II

Hi,

I need to create street network data for a city using the Open Street Network dataset or any another street network data. Can you please guide what should be the best approach to do this in ARCGIS Enterprise?

I also have to integrate the routing service with this street network data to find the shortest path. What routing service should I utilize?

How can I effectively integrate real-time data (e.g., traffic updates, road closures) into the street network data to ensure that the routing service remains accurate and reflective of current conditions?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

There are options to use maps based on OpenStreetMap in the Esri Living Atlas. I doubt Esri provides any routeable services using OpenStreetMap though. You might be better off looking at Mapbox.com for OpenStreetMap + navigation services.

0 Kudos
RipaliBatra
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response @Brian_Wilson !

I need a solution in Arcgis Enterprise, I have listed few steps  below that I believe would be required for a generic solution . Could you please review and provide your feedback. Moreover, if you can help me with any link of Network Analyst extension

1)Download openStreetMap data of a city from link:https://export.hotosm.org/
2)Using ArcGIS Pro to  import the street network data into your ArcGIS Enterprise environment.

3)Need to create a network dataset to enable routing

4)Utilise ArcGIS Network Analyst to fetch shortest route

5)Once network dataset is ready, we can use ArcGIS Enterprise to publish it as a routing service. This service can then be accessed by ArcGIS applications for route finding and other network analyses.

6) Customize network dataset's properties  for dynamic changes(traffic,road closure etc)

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

HOTOSM's export tool is okay, but for what you're describing, you'll really want more control over how the data comes in.

You can build incredible routing datasets with OSM, but you'll want to do a bit more prep work before bringing it into Pro. As @Brian_Wilson  notes, part of that is editing OSM itself.

I would also suggest looking into things like osm2pgsql for transforming a raw extract of OSM data into precisely the features and layers you need. It will give you the control over incoming fields, transformations, and filtering features so that, as much as possible, your OSM data is ready for Network Analyst.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

I searched Pro pages and found this link hiding in there

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/get-started/windows/server-extensions.htm#ESRI_SECTIO...

I think in your list there's quite a bit of work in #2 and #3. Unless someone is already using OSM in your city for routing, chances are there will be 100's or 1000's of intersections that need to be repaired and have impedances set. That's been my experience with plain old ESRI data. You have to code overpasses and underpasses and bridges differently for example. You have to make sure you don't route cars onto bike paths and bikes onto freeways. Impedances are for example weighting factors like speed limits or lane widths or "no left" turn restrictions. You don't want to route someone on a residential street at 25 mph when an expressway will get them there faster so it's not just "find the shortest route".

As a fan and editor of OSM, I would urge you to edit OSM data directly each time you need a change made so that it gets better for all of us, that's the spirit of open source -- give back. That could be #7

#8 would be "go to #1" because by the time you get to #8 the OSM data has changed and you need to update. If you are being diligent you have to see what changed and revert or repair or accept the changes into your system.

RipaliBatra
New Contributor II

Hi @jcarlson ,

Thanks for your response!

I need to Create the street network data with the routing capability for a city using the Open Street Network dataset or any another street network data . 

Can you please suggest any Open Street Network dataset  provider, which you consider have good detailed information and is refreshed at regular intervals?Eg: tom tom,HERE etc

I tried to extract data from Export | OpenStreetMap, but I was not able to ultilise the osm data directly in PRO and thus I converted it  into geojson to render it.does osm format is not supported?

After I was able to render it, there were few attributes(shown in below table) which were populated properly and some were not. Though not sure if we have to do some data cleaning over it.?

RipaliBatra_0-1712154240168.png

Can you also guide me how to create network dataset to enable routing on it.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Personally, I get an extract from GeoFabrik (https://download.geofabrik.de/) and use osm2pgsql to get it into a PostGIS database, which I can then connect to directly in Pro and use as needed. GeoFabrik updates their extracts every day, and you can easily schedule the osm2pgsql process to run on 24 hour intervals.

There are more advanced ways of continually pulling in and applying changes from OSM to keep your data to within a few minutes of the main dataset. But for us, < 24 hours is good enough, so it hasn't been worth digging into.

I don't do any routing at my work, so I don't have any guidance on Network Analyst, sorry.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

Once upon a time I worked at an Esri Business Partner shop developing first responder navigation software. I was in the thick of ArcGIS Engine and C# and I hated it. I evaluated Network Analyst and routing. I wanted routing ON THE DEVICE because ! sometimes rural fire fighters go ! outside cell coverage! Imagine that. Software developers often have a smartphone physically attached to themselves and never leave urban cores. This means the concept of NO DATA was unimportant to everyone else. Being Android smartphone guys they went all in on Google and ending up dumping Esri.  I moved on.

@RipaliBatrayou seem to be just starting out but are heavily invested in using Enterprise?

Personally I suggest you learn more first and try to estimate total costs. In my case I'd be including total pain. As in, the process of extracting data from OSM and converting it into an Esri network dataset EVERY DAY is a "total pain".

I work in a 95% Esri shop right now managing an Enterprise server. The other 5% is my own Linux/open source/QGIS/GDAL etc tools. (The 5% really eases the total pain factor for me. I try to use the BEST tool for the job FOR ME not the cheapest or the most approved by Esri.)

Take my comments with a grain of salt because I have not tried to import OSM into ESRI in a long time. Based on a long experience with Esri though, they change more slowly than I do so I think it's probably about the same.

I evaluated using both Esri and open source alternatives. There are benefits each. YOU have to try them and see which one is the best fit in your case (which you so far fail to explain here so it's pointless for us to rattle on about the differences.)

I can see a lot of pain though if you go the way you are headed: trying to do frequent imports from OSM and convert frequently to an Esri network dataset. It would make more sense (to me) to use PostGIS based tools for the routing part because it works well with OSM data.

With the Esri network analyst approach it will require constant tuning and tweaking in the import and conversion of the data.

With the PostGIS approach there will be less, but the routing engine is going to be more hands-on.

When I was doing the evaluation, Esri had laughably bad tools for editing OSM data directly in ArcMap and Esri was uninterested in supporting PostGIS in any way.

Today I would be looking very carefully at what each has to offer TO ME for MY use case and not automatically go with Network Analyst because I already have Enterprise. I think that is what you should be doing.

0 Kudos