ArcGIS Enterprise Log4j Security Patches

04-20-2022 01:23 PM
Pei-SanTsai
New Contributor III

Question regarding ArcGIS Enterprise Log4j Security Patches

For ArcGIS Server Log4j patch, there's a recommendation of "Upgrade a geodatabase, When a hotfix or patch for ArcGIS has been applied, it may also be necessary to upgrade your geodatabase. See the Upgrade the Geodatabase section on the Geodatabase management page for your individual DBMS platform for more information." 

1. Is there going to be version compatibility issue if I wait to upgrade the geodatabase later on after install the patch since I have to upgrade my license manager as well?

2. Should I upgrade my geodatabase first prior running the patch or after I apply the patch?  I'm currently using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 and enterprise geodatabase is at 10.6.1. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I think that statement is a general one in all the patch documentation. As part of the patch, there may be some functionality that is updated on the Enterprise Geodatabase (EGDB) side that needs to be installed. You can check by connecting to the EGDDB as the geodatabase administrator (usually SDE or maybe DBO) and look in the client if the upgrade geodatabase option is available. In the #2, it would be available if the client is "newer" than the EGDB version.

For #1: This depends on multiple factors. I know many clients are still running older EGDB versions and newer Pro / Enterprise clients.

#2: I would recommend installing all the Pro client patches first, then upgrade the EGDB to that version. I know the EGDB upgrade is usually quick, but does need to be planned and follow the documentation steps closely.

Let me know if this helps!

--- George T.
Pei-SanTsai
New Contributor III

Thank you for the info, George.  Regarding #2, Pro client patches, referring to database client?  I don't think ESRI release Log4j security patch for ArcGIS Pro.  The patch I was referring to was Log4j security patch for ArcGIS Server.  

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Pei-San - I was referring to installing the latest Pro patch (i.e. 2.9.2). We have released patches for ArcGIS Pro; https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-enterprise/administration/arcgis-software-and-cve-2...  -- Look under the Pro section.

--- George T.