ArcGIS Enterprise Installation Order Documentation

03-17-2021 09:45 AM
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

We are looking to do a fresh install of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 with a multiple machine deployment (each component  on a dedicated server).  Is there any Esri documentation on the preferred/recommended install order?

I don't have any problem finding installation guides for each component, but can't seem to find anything on the install order.  I'd like to avoid installing a component and then realizing it's dependent on something else.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

When installing ArcGIS Enterprise there is no required order.  Personally I start Portal first because it's likely to take the longest to install, but you can easily do one of the other components first no problem 😊

NathanEnge
Esri Contributor

This is a slide that I made for our esri canada user conferences...

NathanEnge_0-1615999824282.png

Follow on, after you have a base deployment, is to install additional server roles on your dedicated machines, then federate them in.

Full link to presentation for your reference is here:

https://www.esri.ca/content/dam/distributor-restricted/esri-ca/files/news-events/events/uc/past-proc...

I prefer this order, although it's been said that no particular order is required.

mpboyle

Thanks for the link to your presentation.  The security best practice slides are great!

0 Kudos
NathanEnge
Esri Contributor

NathanEnge_0-1616096035988.png

mpboyle

@ReeseFacendini and @NathanEnge ,

Thanks for both of those responses, makes me feel more comfortable.

Is there a particular order for updating Enterprise?

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Upgrading Enterprise does have an order, and that's to maintain connection of the hosting server and DataStore.  This link goes into detail on what to look for, but generally upgrades go as follows; Portal, Portal web adaptor, hosting server, hosting server web adaptor, DataStore

CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

One thing to add to the documentation in that link is that while it says that you don't have to uninstall any of the components to do an upgrade, you do have to uninstall the web adaptors prior to installing the new version.  This is only covered when you go into the web adaptor installation instructions.

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Make sure to take an image of the deployment before you start!

Keep on keeping on!
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

Good point - the doco suggests taking a webgisdr backup, but I'd primarily rely on a server backup/snapshot because the process to fall back using webgisdr is especially painful if the software has already been upgraded.

To take it one step further, I usually suggest that people stop the ArcGIS Enterprise services before taking snapshots because Windows process IDs are written to portal/server config files.  This should make for a cleaner restoration in the event of an upgrade failure.

0 Kudos