After Base Deployment

Jump to solution
05-24-2021 08:29 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We've just had a consultant come in and install a Base Deployment.

What is a logical next step once the Base Deployment is complete?

I guess I'm looking for guidance on what our County should do now that we have a Base Deployment functioning and in place.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Todd_Metzler
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

Pretty open question.  Here are some suggestions:

1.  Keep your consultant "on the hook".

2.    Have you a deployment acceptance test plan?  If yes, follow the plan.  If no, use the ArcGIS Enterprise the way you anticipate using it to meet your operational requirements and make sure it does.  For example, I have a number of large data sets in services that I know perform poorly if the Enterprise isn't optimized for them.  I use these to test/tune my new deployments.

Good Luck!

Todd

View solution in original post

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User,

I guess I'm looking for guidance on what our County should do now that we have a Base Deployment functioning and in place.

As @Todd_Metzler said, your statement is pretty broad. Why did the County install and deploy ArcGIS Enterprise in the first place? What are the business use cases you want to accomplish? 

I would test publishing some of your dataset from ArcGIS Pro to web services on ArcGIS Enterprise. After the testing, I would plan how and which datasets you'd like to share as web services. Also plan a strategy around your staff: set-up some groups and assign personnel to the appropriate roles (e.g., permissions within the Enterprise portal).

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Todd_Metzler

Hello,

Pretty open question.  Here are some suggestions:

1.  Keep your consultant "on the hook".

2.    Have you a deployment acceptance test plan?  If yes, follow the plan.  If no, use the ArcGIS Enterprise the way you anticipate using it to meet your operational requirements and make sure it does.  For example, I have a number of large data sets in services that I know perform poorly if the Enterprise isn't optimized for them.  I use these to test/tune my new deployments.

Good Luck!

Todd

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User,

As @Todd_Metzler said, your statement is pretty broad. Why did the County install and deploy ArcGIS Enterprise in the first place? What are the business use cases you want to accomplish? 

I would test publishing some of your dataset from ArcGIS Pro to web services on ArcGIS Enterprise. After the testing, I would plan how and which datasets you'd like to share as web services. Also plan a strategy around your staff: set-up some groups and assign personnel to the appropriate roles (e.g., permissions within the Enterprise portal).

Hope this helps,

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you both for your feedback. The consultant was very knowledgeable about installing and configuring enterprise and the primary goal was for them to put in place a Base Deployment. There's really not much more they're responsible for. At this point the Enterprise Deployment is a blank canvas for us to use however we want. And that's where I'm trying to learn more about what's possible and more importantly, what's logical for us as a County Government.

We're currently upgrading our Desktop Installs to 10.8.1 and will be following with upgrading SDE to 10.8.1. Then we'll roll out ArcGIS Pro.

I'll be taking an enterprise administration course and I'm hoping to gain some insight into what the possibilities are for integrating Pro with Enterprise.

We have access to so many different tools it can be overwhelming to come up with a logical strategy to incorporate them all. 

Thanks again for your feedback.

0 Kudos
Todd_Metzler

A pleasure and thank you for accepting the solution.

Now, since you've shared more info, a few more tips:

1. Suggest a migration plan to get your users off ArcMap and on to ArcGIS Pro.  ArcGIS Enterprise integration with ArcGIS Pro is more robust and provides better user experience.

2.  Suggest upgrade your EGDB (also refered to SDE by many but that's not really accurate and reflects the schema/spatial storage type).  Suggest also migrate your data store (EGDB/SDE) from SDE schema to native hosting RDBMS schema geometry/geography.  More flexible for your business user connections from outside GIS clients.

3.  Suggest considering the use of ArcGIS Data Store instead of your current EGDB/SDE.  In our enterprise, we do have multiple EGDB in multiple RDBMS of different flavors.  With about a year's worth of comparison and performance analysis between our existing EGDBs and ArcGIS Data Store, the perfomance is normally better for the same data in Data Store.  Also, we've yielded reduced administrative overhead by migrating content to Data Store.