A method to check how our services are healthy

07-08-2017 11:33 PM
rawansaleh1
Occasional Contributor III

I couldn’t figure out if there is a method to check how our services are healthy.

For example, I need a tool to send a notification for me if one of my services are stopped suddenly or any failure happened to my services.

I need any method to make a periodic check on my services.

Any suggestion for that?

Best,

Rawan

Tags (1)
43 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rawan,

I would start by checking the ArcGIS Server logs,

About specifying server log settings—ArcGIS Server Administration (Windows) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,

XanderBakker

Additionally, there is System Monitor offered through professional services and be sure to check the UC plenary tomorrow for news on this topic.  

rawansaleh1

Dear Xander,

thanks for your input. i will follow up on that.

Best,

Rawan

0 Kudos
rawansaleh1

Dear Derek,

Thanks for your answer. I always check my argis server logs to ensure that the system is fine.

But what I exactly looking for here that if my system get failure or one of my services have a problem I need an a way to get me informed about that.

Is that possible?

Best,

Rawan

mfcallahan
Occasional Contributor II

I haven't done this specifically for my ArcGIS Server instances, but when I want to monitor services I have running, I like to use Windows Task Scheduler.  I usually create a small console app or script that will make a test query to a service, and if there is not a response or the response is not as unexpected, it will send out an alert email.  So for example I have an application running on my web server that depends on a few external APIs and database connections to run.  I have a scheduled task running every 5 minutes (on a different machine than the server) and it will make sure each of the APIs is responding and the database connections are OK.  If everything is OK, the task will end without notification.  If anything reported an error, I send an alert email out to the dev team so we are aware of the poor health status of the application right away and can take immediate action.

rawansaleh1

Dear Matthew Callahan,

Thanks for your input. May you please share this script with me to examine it.

Best,

Rawan

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

System Monitor is not part of ArcGIS, per se.  As Xander points out, you get access to it through Esri Professional Services since they are the ones that develop it.  For System Monitor, you pay a consulting fee to have them give you the software and help get it setup and working.  If you are willing to pay for a tool, I suggest you do an internet search on tools for monitoring ArcGIS Server and GIS services.  Although there are not a lot of tools out there, there are at least a couple nice packages I have seen. 

If you search GeoNet, you will find multiple cases where users ask/suggest that Esri package System Monitor with ArcGIS Server.  Given the cost of ArcGIS Server products, I think providing a robust monitoring tool with it isn't too much to ask, but Esri obviously thinks differently.

XanderBakker

I will share link with more info after the announcement at the plenary.  

Edit: Not much information available yet, but have a look at: http://go.esri.com/monitor 

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is an ArcGIS Monitor demo site floating around out there.  I am not sure I should be sharing it, but Google doesn't mind sharing.

When I logged into the ArcGIS Monitor demo site, the version number is 3.0.250, which makes me think this is simply a rebranding of System Monitor than a new product.  The latest version of System Monitor is 3.x

The ArcGIS Monitor splash page on esri.com doesn't say "Professional Services," but I am guessing that is who reaches out to you after you fill out the contact information.