Upgrade to Portal 10.4 but can't get past the create initial administrator account screen

05-03-2016 04:40 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi.

I'm attempting to upgrade Server and Portal on an Amazon instance from 10.3.1 to 10.4. Portal is federated with Server, both on the same instance.

I have so far upgraded Server, uninstalled the 10.3.1 web adaptor, and run the upgrade of Portal.

The portal website then opens and goes to the the 'Create a New Portal' page. The docs say to click 'Create New Portal', enter details for an initial administrator and click create. I do this, and the pop up box appears as expected and says:

The initial administrator account has been created. Your portal is currently being restarted and will require a couple of minutes to complete. When you click OK, you will be directed to install the Web Adaptor and configure it with your portal using the initial administrator account. After configuring the Web Adaptor, you can sign in to your portal using the initial administrator account.

The only trouble is, nothing happens after this. It sits on this screen and never changes - I click 'Ok' and nothing happens.

The browser console catches an error message that says "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'recheckAfterSeconds' of null" which may indicate something is wrong.

Reloading the portal page redirects back to this same 'Create a New Portal Page'.

Any ideas on how I might get past this point?

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you using Chrome?  Try IE or Firefox.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Jonathan.

Yes, I tried that a couple of nights back and was able to successfully get past that point using Firefox. Firefox popped up a message straight away saying there was an issue with the password I was trying to use, then when I amended that the spinning busy indicator took over and everything continued from there.

Would be good if someone from ESRI updated the documentation page about 'Common problems and solutions' about this one as quite likely to trip a few people up!

Common problems and solutions—Portal for ArcGIS (10.4) | ArcGIS for Server

Cheers,

-Paul

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.  It's something we'd rather fix than say there's a common issue of upgrading with Chrome so we'll look into this and how it relates to upgrades.

0 Kudos
BenjaminBlackshear
New Contributor III

10.4.1 is out and this still hasn't been addressed, for me it isn't working in any browser. I have the same issue as Paul with Chrome, and Firefox and IE either fail to lad the page or load it as blank. Please fix this or at least document it in the common issues and provide a workaround.

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Benjamin,

I have seen this problem, blank pages, when trying to update a Portal site and one of the components being out of whack.

For example, Server still at 10.4 and portal at 10.4.1, etc...  Or possibly there being an issue with the CA cert.

Or any one of another problems.

So it could point to there being an issue with the setup. Look at the logs, trying uninstalling and reinstalling, check the IIS settings, etc...  It can be tricky to figure out the problem.  It could be browser related (always first try flushing the cache of course) but it can also be a setup issue.

Best of luck.

0 Kudos
Luis_DiegoVargas1
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I update the platform from 10.4 to 10.4.1; the AGD, AGS and DataStore Works fine but we have issues with Portal. I cant create the initial administrator account.

When I tried creating the user had the following message:

There was an error creating your initial administrator account.

For more information, please view the log messages located in the content directory specified during setup (C:\arcgisportal\logs).

And the logs doesnt have nfo, my solution was to use Internet Explorer 10; with this web browser I can create the initial account and finish the Portal configuration.

Regards.

0 Kudos
RossHenderson
New Contributor II

The problem seems to be browser-based, in my case anyway. I initially used Chrome to create the new Portal which just hung. I then tried IE 11 and it worked. Be aware that the password doesn't accept special characters (i.e. @# etc), which IE 11 recogineses and asks you to re-enter a valid password, but Chrome just hangs.

PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Ross: There is a a patch to 10.4.1 that helps with the Chrome Issue. 

Portal for ArcGIS Home Application Upload Patch 

It appeared to fix the Chrome problems but recently I have had a few issues in a patched Portal using Chrome that do not occur with IE. I have not reported these issues to Esri (yet.)

I'm trying to remember to just use IE with Portal.