Upgrade to 10.5.1 and Resotring a 10.5 Site, Cautionary Tales

08-24-2017 08:19 AM
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

Server was federated to Portal. Server was configured as the hosting server, Data store was also configured. Everything was working great at 10.5, but I wanted to upgrade, latest is greatest, right? This ended up being a 2AM nightmare. Rather then keeping these notes to myself, I thought I'd share.

Portal 10.5.1 Upgrade, Registered survey123 app

Portal (linux) update failed when attempting to create the initial site administrator account. Looking in the portal database logs, there was a problem when attempting to execute data.sql, specifically the INSERT statement dealing with survey123.

This is because I already had survey123 configured as a registered App so that we could use the survey123.arcgis.com website against our own portal. I understand this was in Beta with 10.5. As soon as I commented out that line in the data.sql file the initial site admin account could be created, no more errors.

CAUTION: If you have survey123 added as a registered application at 10.5, then attempt to 10.5.1 upgrade, you will likely experience the above error.

Portal 10.5.1 Upgrade, Webadaptor Re-install

After portal was upgraded to 10.5.1, I uninstalled/re-installed it's web adaptor. Same for Server, after it was upgraded to 10.5.1, I uninstalled/re-installed it's web adaptor. I logged into the Portal and tried to open an existing web map and would only get an IdentityManager popup, asking for credentials for the arcgisServer.local.domain machine? Server is federated with Portal, why would I bet directed to Server for a token?

After troubleshooting further, all previously published feature services were working correctly, no auth. popup box. It was the offline basemaps (actually webmaps) that I had configured. Why can't ArcGIS Enterprise users simply use ESRI basemaps offline like you can in ArcGIS Online? We have to complete this extra step, outlined last section of this page: Prepare maps for offline use—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

I looked at my offline basemap(s) in Portal, details page, and the Service URL was arcgisServer.local.domain/portal. That's WAY wrong and would never be reachable outside our LAN. Not to mention it's the Server hostname and portal web adaptor name. Changing the URL to FQDNDNSAlias.com/portal worked right away, I was able to get to the rest endpoint of the basemap.

Devil is in the details. Look at this page: Configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor—Installation Guides (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise, Step #2. "If a DNS Alias will be used with the portal, the Web Adaptor should be configured over the DNS Alias instead".

So, after the portal web adaptor is installed, you have to access the web adaptor config. page on the machine it's installed on, but you have to use the same externally accessible DNS Allias, so https://myexternallyfacingFQDN.com/portal. Then you will reach the portal configure page where you enter the arcgisPortal.local.domain:7443 URL. After this step, the Service URL of any item you add to your portal via a URL will correctly display as https://myexternallyfacingFQDN.com/portal/item.....

Portal 10.5 Restore via RestAPI/Importsite

I cannot restore (or backup) using the portal webgisdr utility since my deployment is a mix of Linux/Win. So, I individually backup Portal using the exportSite REST API and backup Server using the serverbackup.py utility.

Initially I didnt' figure out the above portal web adaptor fiasco so I decided to uninstall portal 10.5.1 and go back to 10.5. Uninstall went fine, deleted the /arcgis/portal directory. Re-installed 10.5 and when I got to the initial admin. account setup, I entered the same initial admin username as before, portal_admin. I then went to arcgisPortal.local.domain:7443/arcgis/portaladmin/importSite. I specified the full path to the .portalsite file and waited, fingers crossed. After 10 minutes, Error. I looked in the portal/database logs and found an error related to INSERT "gw_" does not satisfy the unique key requirement, VALUES 'portal_admin'. To my novice SQL eye, this looks like the restore was attempting to INSERT username portal_admin from the backup, when I had already specified portal_admin during the intial admin. account config.

So, I uninstalled 10.5 and re-installed again, this time when I got to the initial admin. account config. I entered tmp_admin, then the /importSite operation succeeded!!

FYI, since Server/Portal were federated, I was a little unsure of the restore order, here's what I used and it worked great:

1. Uninstall Portal, Server, and both web adaptors
  2. re-install Portal, configure a new/unique initial site admin account
  3. re-install Portal web adaptor. Remember my DNS Alias point above, this is what got my into my 2AM nightmare.
  4. re-install Server
  5. re-install Server web adaptor
  6. navigate to arcgisPortal.local.domain:7443/arcgis/portaladmin/importSite, specify the full path to the .portalsite file
  7. Cross fingers. Our site is pretty small and it took about 30 minutes.
  8. To my surprise, the importSite REST operation also restored all Server Services. I'm assuming this is because Server was federated.
  9. I did not need to run the restore.py utility on the Server machine.
12 Replies
AllenScully

Thanks for posting this, it is helpful (and kind of therapeutic) to see what other folks have encountered during this process. 

Just a minor but really frustrating issue we have noticed since going to Portal/enterprise 10.5.1 from 10.5 - Operations views do not load for people directly through the url - we have users who are not Portal/GIS folks that just go to a Dashboard URL, log in, and go about their day, at least they did until 10.5.1.  Now they cannot get the dashboard to open, it merely spins after log in and says that some of the items are not available and it's taking a while to load - this never resolves. It spins while showing the black-background Ops Dash screen.

What's frustrating is that if they log in to the Portal home site, find the group they are in, then the dashboard, then click the dropdown next to 'Open' and select 'Open in Browser app' it will open - so the layers are actually available to them.  However this is actually a big ask given our user group for our dashboard.  Way too many steps.  

New dashboard can't come to Portal soon enough.

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher

dan becker‌ - I am trying to follow this specific step you mentioned:

Step #2. "If a DNS Alias will be used with the portal, the Web Adaptor should be configured over the DNS Alias instead".

This is now my attempt to update from 10.5.1 to 10.6.  I haven't deleted, modified or updated anything yet.  The 10.5.1 web adaptor is still in place.  We use Single Sign On.

• While logged into the Web Adaptor machine and try to browse to the Portal Web Adaptor setup page, it will ask for my credentials 3 times and then give me a HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized.  Same if I try to browse to the Portal home page.
  • Any other machine, I can successfully navigate to either the Portal home OR the Portal Web Adaptor setup page via the DNS Alias URL.  The Portal Web Adaptor setup from these other machines just tell me that I have to access this link from the Web Adaptor Machine.

Since I can't access this page on the Web Adaptor machine, how did I make this work in the first place?

Going to call technical support tomorrow morning.

--Adam

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher

...and then jskinner-esristaff‌ comes to the rescue...

I just had to turn off the Windows Authentication in IIS for the "portal" Web Adaptor, and then the /webadaptor page was accessible through the DNS Alias URL.  Doing the rest of the update now.

--Adam