Symbology help

Jump to solution
08-19-2013 12:59 PM
BryanGonzales
New Contributor
Background:
I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 running SP5. I have used the same feature class with the same symbology in other mxd's with no problems. I am using data driven pages, and at a scale of 1;25000 or greater, the polygon in question is symbolized correctly. If I zoom in closer, the polygon becomes hollow and the surrounding areas take on the symbology of the polygon. The symbolgy is drawn from the "single symbol" features, there is nothing unique about the feature class (no definition queries or otherwise). Out of six different maps using the same feature class and symbology, this is the first mxd that has reacted this way.
Comments, suggestions?
Thanks,
Bryan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Bryan - a couple of thoughts:
1) try running Data Management >> Features >> Repair Geometry
2) you may have a small "Loop" somewhere in your polygon that will confuse the drawing because the inside becomes the outside - causing a flood fill outside of the feature.
3) I have seen this before, but it is a visual relic, and did not show when printed or exported to PDF. Does it show in your output? If not - perhaps you can ignore it.
Regards,
Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Bryan - a couple of thoughts:
1) try running Data Management >> Features >> Repair Geometry
2) you may have a small "Loop" somewhere in your polygon that will confuse the drawing because the inside becomes the outside - causing a flood fill outside of the feature.
3) I have seen this before, but it is a visual relic, and did not show when printed or exported to PDF. Does it show in your output? If not - perhaps you can ignore it.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
BryanGonzales
New Contributor
Jim,
Thanks, that was it. I didn't even think of looking at the the polygon for full closure since everything else had been fine before. I'm working on a 700 mile alignment so mistakes were likely made along the way. Morale: don't always trust other sources data to be correct. 😉
Thanks again.
0 Kudos