Symbolizing by two fields

09-24-2013 12:39 PM
NaseefChowdhury
New Contributor II
I am trying to figure out how to easily define my symbol classes for a layer. I want to symbolize using two fields but in a specific way. The first field will define the symbol being used, while the second field will simply change the color of the symbol. I am hoping there is an easy way to do this rather than defining every variation one by one.

Example: Field 1 has values (1, 2, 3), Field 2 has values (A, B, C)

1A should be symbol 1 color 1
3C should be symbol 3 color 3

Thanks for the help.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
deleted-user-VeC5jUIlNXtq
Occasional Contributor III
Hmmmm...not sure if this will take a while for you, but you can go to Symbology -> Categories -> Unique Values, many fields.

That might help or at least get you started?
0 Kudos
NaseefChowdhury
New Contributor II
Hmmmm...not sure if this will take a while for you, but you can go to Symbology -> Categories -> Unique Values, many fields.

That might help or at least get you started?

That would be the long way, yeah. I am hoping there is an easier way.

The problem with Unique Values, Many Fields is, it gives you all the variations, but doesn't give you a quick way to symbolize "similar" things, such as all (Field1=1) values being the same type of symbol regardless of the value of field2.
0 Kudos
Ahhh right.

What about combining the two fields and then going unique values, one field?

Edit: then all the 1A and 2B and 3C, etc... values will be grouped?
0 Kudos
NaseefChowdhury
New Contributor II
Ahhh right.

What about combining the two fields and then going unique values, one field?

Edit: then all the 1A and 2B and 3C, etc... values will be grouped?

Hmm not sure what you mean by the "values will be grouped"

I considered doing what you are suggesting but wouldn't that just result in the same thing, just instead of using multiple fields I will be using one field, but I will still end up with just as many variations that I will have to manually symbolize one by one?
0 Kudos
I think I messed myself up, as I was originally going to suggest that, but say that yes, it will take a bit of time to manually symbolize depending on how many you have.

What about Multiple Attributes: Quantity by Category? I'm currently in there trying to work something out with a point file, but figured you should have a look since your dataset might be better suited.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
0 Kudos
Alright, I've got something going.

I've symbolized all of one category a certain color, and based on a different field had their size changed.

It's a mess right now, but hopefully it will help you out. Here goes:

In Symbology -> Multiple Attributes -> Quantity by category

Value Fields: choose whatever you want the color to change based on the field.

Symbol Size... choose the other field (for size).

Hit ok and see how it looks, then adjust accordingly.

Sorry I know it's not perfect, but I just learned it and figured I'd let you know haha.

Edit: I guess it's implied, but "Add All Values" then hit ok.
0 Kudos
NaseefChowdhury
New Contributor II
Alright, I've got something going.

I've symbolized all of one category a certain color, and based on a different field had their size changed.

It's a mess right now, but hopefully it will help you out. Here goes:

In Symbology -> Multiple Attributes -> Quantity by category

Value Fields: choose whatever you want the color to change based on the field.

Symbol Size... choose the other field (for size).

Hit ok and see how it looks, then adjust accordingly.

Sorry I know it's not perfect, but I just learned it and figured I'd let you know haha.

Edit: I guess it's implied, but "Add All Values" then hit ok.

Unfortunately my field is a string and the symbol size (or color ramp) option only takes int/float values it looks like. Maybe I just need to quit being lazy and manually define them all 😛
0 Kudos
Hmmm, that's too bad 😞

Are you able to create a temporary field for symbolizing purposes that will equate to your string field?

Say "Large" = 1, "medium" = 2, etc...

Might save you time symbolizing if you have a lot? If you don't have that many, then manually will certainly be fine. Just trying to think of a way that might save you from doing that haha!

Either way, good luck!
0 Kudos