Select to view content in your preferred language

Seeking Guidance on User Activity Logging in ArcGIS Enterprise

11-22-2023 03:54 AM
RamaRaomalisetti
Occasional Contributor

Hello ArcGIS Community,

We are currently using ArcGIS Enterprise and have deployed various applications such as Dashboards and Web Maps within our organization. Our goal is to monitor user activity, specifically identifying who is logging in to view our Dashboards and how much time they are spending on these platforms.

I've explored the Organization section status, which provides some item reports; however, this information falls short of our specific requirements. We are looking for a more detailed activity log that includes user-specific details such as usernames and the duration of their sessions.

If anyone in the community has experience or insights into achieving this level of user activity logging in ArcGIS Enterprise, we would greatly appreciate your guidance. Our aim is to enhance our understanding of user engagement and optimize our applications based on this valuable information.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think what you're really going to need is the logs from your web adaptor. It would take some work, but you can find the user login POST requests, then associate further activity from the same IP with that particular user. It won't give you durations, but could at least give you an idea of when that user initiates server activity or loads portal resources.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Trevor_Hart
Frequent Contributor

@jcarlson is correct most of the user activity is logged at the web tier.

Portal logs only record logins and not what the user is accessing eg user X opened web app Y

ArcGIS Server logs contain what services they are using (assuming they are not anonymous).

However there is no "duration" unless you built telemetry into your web apps or derived from the min/max times for service requests.

I know you stated this for just for understanding of user engagement but what your really asking for is an auditing solution.

There are auditing solutions out there - google for "arcgis enterprise Transaction Auditing"

Auditing is usually only required where you have a mandate to record all user activity eg where you have sensitive data with restricted access

0 Kudos
RamaRaomalisetti
Occasional Contributor

Hi Thank you for your replies,

Is there any way to do like python script ? Please 

0 Kudos
RamaRaomalisetti
Occasional Contributor

Hi Trevor _Hart Thankyou for you reply,

But I need the Portal item logs, Who is watched my portal dashboard ,what time and how much time he spent.  

0 Kudos
Trevor_Hart
Frequent Contributor

@RamaRaomalisetti sorry you are out of luck. There are no examples or existing scripts to do that. Its quite a complex thing to achieve and as mentioned Portal does not log this (even on Verbose).

0 Kudos