restrict the size of lines and points in Data view?

Jump to solution
03-09-2012 12:06 PM
JoshuaOlsen
New Contributor
Hello there,

I have looked everywhere for an answer to this but have not been able to find anything because I don't exactly know what to search for.

My question is this:  How do I restrict the size of points and the thickness of lines in the data view to their actual sizes?  It gets really annoying when I zoom out and the whole map is covered with gigantic point features or huge lines.

Thank you in advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JulianaWilhoit
New Contributor III
Hi Joshua,
I believe that the process that you are looking for is related to the data frame reference scale.  According to the help
???You can set a reference scale for your data frame, which fixes the size for symbols and text to draw at the desired height and width at the referenced map scale. This is like freezing the symbol and text sizes used in your data frame. One reason to set a reference scale is if you want the detail in your data frame to look the same on-screen as when you print it. It's useful to see the map's symbols on screen at the size they will appear in the printed copy.???

You can learn more about this process by visiting the ArcGIS Desktop 10 Help and referencing the article ???Working with data frame reference scales.??? http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00660000043v000000.htm

I hope that this helps answer your question.

Best,

Juliana

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JulianaWilhoit
New Contributor III
Hi Joshua,
I believe that the process that you are looking for is related to the data frame reference scale.  According to the help
???You can set a reference scale for your data frame, which fixes the size for symbols and text to draw at the desired height and width at the referenced map scale. This is like freezing the symbol and text sizes used in your data frame. One reason to set a reference scale is if you want the detail in your data frame to look the same on-screen as when you print it. It's useful to see the map's symbols on screen at the size they will appear in the printed copy.???

You can learn more about this process by visiting the ArcGIS Desktop 10 Help and referencing the article ???Working with data frame reference scales.??? http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00660000043v000000.htm

I hope that this helps answer your question.

Best,

Juliana
0 Kudos
JoshuaOlsen
New Contributor
Exactly what I was looking for!  Thank's Juliana! (And also, a friendly greeting from Dr. Clark's Class 🙂 )

Joshua Olsen
0 Kudos