Problem with displaying line data!

03-17-2011 05:09 AM
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

I have been building up a database of wadi's in western/southern Iraq, by drawing simple lines overlaying satellite data as a basemap in ArcGIS10. I was then intending them to rank the wadi's for symbology reasons. However I find that the first few I created last week have vanished from the feature class I have been adding to.

Now, stranger still, those same wadi lines that disappeared appear from time to time upon loading into ArcMap but disappear again on zooming or any interaction with the interface...I NEED some help on this since tracing wadi's is time consuming and I am wasting time chasing this...

the data exists in the attribute table and will 'flash' as lines on the map but cannot be selected, edited, highlighted or anything! I have NOT edited the data at all...and I havce no idea what can be done with this issue.

Thank you in advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hello,

I have been building up a database of wadi's in western/southern Iraq, by drawing simple lines overlaying satellite data as a basemap in ArcGIS10. I was then intending them to rank the wadi's for symbology reasons. However I find that the first few I created last week have vanished from the feature class I have been adding to.

Now, stranger still, those same wadi lines that disappeared appear from time to time upon loading into ArcMap but disappear again on zooming or any interaction with the interface...I NEED some help on this since tracing wadi's is time consuming and I am wasting time chasing this...

the data exists in the attribute table and will 'flash' as lines on the map but cannot be selected, edited, highlighted or anything! I have NOT edited the data at all...and I havce no idea what can be done with this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Maybe try adding or recalculating the spatial index on the layer. Data that disappears as you zoom in or out is often a sign that the spatial index is not working correctly.

Melita
0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Maybe try adding or recalculating the spatial index on the layer. Data that disappears as you zoom in or out is often a sign that the spatial index is not working correctly.

Melita

How do I recalculate the spatial index?
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
How do I recalculate the spatial index?

Hi Simon,

Open the data's property page in ArcCatalog. There should be a index tab (or it might be on a general tab). There will be options for adding/removing the spatial index.

Melita
0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Thank you Melita, that has work just fine.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
RayMangan
New Contributor III
I've been experiencing this issue ALOT since upgrading to 10. Another work-around is to copy/paste your feature class, delete original, and rename the new copy.

I'm wondering how many are experiencing this bug?
0 Kudos
SimonKettle
I've been experiencing this issue ALOT since upgrading to 10. Another work-around is to copy/paste your feature class, delete original, and rename the new copy.

I'm wondering how many are experiencing this bug?

Interesting your experiencing it as well...I keep having this problem as well but just get on with recalculating the spatial data.

Could we get this fixed and added to the next patch for ArcGIS 10?
0 Kudos