Portal performance with versioned data

04-13-2017 08:17 AM
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi,

I am seeing issues with the performance in Portal Web Maps or Apps when the referenced service uses versioned data.  I am not sure if there is a setup or configuration that I am missing.

If I add a Feature Service to a Web Map that is created from referenced data to a versioned database a few things are observed.

• The layer will often not draw completely and the "Layer did not draw completely" message is displayed
    • The occurrence of this can be changed by modifying the "Maximum Number of Records Returned by Server" setting
  • The drawing is horrendously slow at times.
  • During a redraw the ArcGIS Service will begin to spawn numerous instances.  I have seen it have as many as 16 running (the max at the time)
    • This is a single WebMap being redrawn which will create this number of instances.

When I use a feature classes from an enterprise database that are not versioned (e.g., archive enabled non-versioned data) or use hosted data things work much more as one would expect.  None of the items above present themselves (I still think the draw performance could be better, though).

Does anyone know why I am seeing this behavior? 

Thanks

-Joe

Thanks,
-Joe
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

Not sure, but perhaps this patch might work for you: Portal for ArcGIS 10.5 Large Membership Performance Patch 

EDIT: In thinking about this further, I think what you're seeing may be expected behavior. Let me explain: when you version a feature class in a geodatabase, what happens behind-the-scenes is you make 2 copies of your feature class business table (e.g., you create an 'Adds' and a 'Deletes' table) to store and track edits to the feature class. Each time you do something with the feature service - that is powered by a versioned feature class, the software will need to query and get info from all 3 tables that comprise the versioned feature class. This may be affect performance, as compared to a feature service that uses non-versioned feature class data. Does this make sense?

FYI: to learn more about versioning: Versioning 101 ArcUser technical article

I don't think the patch I mentioned previously will help with your performance issue.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

Some stuff you could try to help improve performance at the geodatabase tier:

- Compress your geodatabase to simplify the state tree

- Update the indexes and statistics for your feature classes

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response.  I have been doing this a long time and do understand the ins and outs of how versioning works.  The AD tables are clean, the database in compressed and there are just weird issues with performance.  Have been working with support and a database person for a while now and still some things that don't make a lot of sense.

Again...thanks for the reply

-Joe 

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
StephanieSnider
Occasional Contributor III

Joe,

Did you find the cause of the slow performance for managing versioned data (through a registered service) in Portal?  We are working on the same thing and have encountered several errors.

0 Kudos