Portal for ArcGIS inaccessible after disk space full (Linux)

05-08-2020 01:08 PM
CelineKayitana
New Contributor

Hello,

I am looking for a solution for Portal for ArcGIS that is inaccessible.

Recently we failed to access both ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS on the browser and we got an error saying that the disk space is almost full.

We added more space to the /home directory.

ArcGIS Server became now accessible however Portal for ArcGIS could still not be accessible.(Portal service is started).

These are the portal logs error messages:

My assumption is that maybe something got wrong in the internal database PostgreSQL for Portal ArcGIS, but I don't know how to access it.

Note: After adding space, there were no more logs recorded even though there is still an error accessing Portal.

Any idea on how we can solve that?

Best regards,

Celine.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you look at the database logs referenced in the error? They should tell you why the database won't start. There's a chance that a write was attempted and that used up the last of the disk space, corrupting the database. Do you have any backups or snapshots? I suggest you implement monitoring on the disk space of the machine or query the logs for WARNING/SEVERE messages for the future, so you can be notified of potential issues.

0 Kudos
CelineKayitana
New Contributor

Thank you Jonathan for your response.

Yes, we checked in the db logs, and there was this error:

2020-04-25 15:22:26 PDT: [12017]: PANIC: could not write to file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.12017": No space left on device.

I assume this state made the postgreSQL database server to shut down.

Now, I am lookong for a way to restart the postgreSQL service manually.

How can I do it from Portal for ArcGIS?

I tried to check the path portal/usr/arcgisportal/db... but could not find a solution.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you make more space on the drive? When you start Portal now, what happens? Do the logs indicate the database starts successfully?

0 Kudos
CelineKayitana
New Contributor

Yes, more space was added, but no more logs showing. Portal starts but we cannot see any logs. And we still cannot access portal apart from ArcGIS server . Is there a way I can restart PostgresService within the portal or data store path? That is where I assume the issue is. " portal database cannot restart"

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos