Portal Federated with an ArcGIS Server with a changed Web Adaptor

11-01-2021 01:25 PM
CraigPatterson
New Contributor III

Hi y'all,

I'm trying to use WEBGISDR to export the production Portal content so that I can import it into the UAT environment. The problem I'm facing is that when I run WEBGISDR, I get an error message stating:

SEVERE: The server https://engineering.XXXXX.com/arcserver is not started. The startup timed out.

Looking at the Portal Admin page, I found that the ArcGIS Server that the Portal is Federated with previously had a Web Adaptor named "arcserver" installed on it. 

CraigPatterson_1-1635797946882.png

Is there a way to update the URL property to use the proper web adaptor without unfederating the ArcGIS Server?

I've tried to use the "Update" command but that doesn't provide an option to change those settings? Is there something I can do on the ArcGIS Server Admin page? 

The other problem I've found is that there are many Portal Layers referencing that old URL. I have been updating those in Portal as I find them. I point this out because it could be that the URL property is bad or that WEBGISDR is validating those layers.

Thank you for your help,

Craig 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CraigPatterson
New Contributor III

I did find a reference to that URL on the GIS Admin site at admin->security->config. 

There is no Web Adaptor installed on the ArcGIS Server machine. It has two Web Adaptors installed on separate boxes. Can I use the URL to one of these instead of the bad one?

0 Kudos
DeanMoiler
Occasional Contributor

Hi Craig,

If you're in 10.7/8 ( I believe this might be obfuscated in 10.9) you should be able to update server / web adaptor context values by going to:

https://{your_server_fqdn}/arcgis/sharing/rest/portals/0123456789ABCDEF/servers/

To update the item URL's you can list your items in python, and iterate through each:

1. Webmap (operational, basemap, table layers)
  2. Item
  3. Application

Otherwise you could use AGOL assistant. You can interrogate the values (find in files) in your portal content directory itself to find any outliers.

On the web adaptors, you can uninstall/reinstall/reconfigure them while leaving the federation itself intact. 

Hope this helps,

Dean

0 Kudos
CraigPatterson
New Contributor III

Thanks Dean. I will try your suggestions. 

FYI, this is in version 10.5.1. I'm working on getting the servers prepped for an upgrade to 10.8.1. 

0 Kudos
CraigPatterson
New Contributor III

I've seen some documentation on using Python to list the Portal content. It seems that it depends on ArcGIS Pro Python libraries (arcpy.GIS). Are there equivalent option in older versions of ArcPy?  

0 Kudos
DeanMoiler
Occasional Contributor

Hi Craig,

I used the arcgis libraries when I did it, though as above i'm 10.7/10.8:

from arcgis.mapping import WebMap
from arcgis.gis import GIS

From the looks the python API was available in 10.5 so you might be able to connect to your portal and list items using the newer references as it seems to use the Esri REST API, though I've not tried this. 

There are also some demo scripts in the archive area I've referenced, though they are for python 2.7.

Perhaps someone else has some more useful information for you!

Dean

0 Kudos