Select to view content in your preferred language

Migrating ArcGIS Portal

12-28-2022 02:54 PM
RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

I'll start with an introduction.  I've been a GIS Administrator for more than 20 years.  I've been a part of each upgrade and migration of each server GIS product from ArcIMS to ArcGIS Server 10.9; I've migrated geodatabases from multiple-to-single instances, sde services to direct connects, and from one machine to another.  However, I'm new to ArcGIS Portal and Data Store, which I inherited in this new job.  We are on the Small Government Enterprise Agreement.

In 2023, I will stand up ArcGIS Enterprise 11 on a new server machine.  Our current Enterprise is at version 10.8.  I have some goals with the new server.  I want to migrate user accounts to connect to Active Directory.  Content has to be republished or moved (not sure).  I want to reorganize content and shift ownership of some web items to other users.  I want to make some items more private and some items more public.  I have to stand up the server side-by-side with the production server, so that URLs will be temporary at first, and then shifted to production URLs on some future go-date.  We have Server services, web items, maps, apps, duplicates, and disconnected items.

All I need from you, the community, are useful helps, tips, URLs, blog posts, and documentation to help me in my goals.  YouTube videos aren't as useful to me, but I'll try to utilize anything I get.

10 Replies
RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

That is right.  Those JSON files grab references to full (not relative) URLs.  Although I did set up an app ID for ArcGIS Assistant, we need this done as soon as possible.  Our current, but old, ArcGIS Enterprise trips on its own robes multiple times a month, so we're hiring this out to consultants who've done it many times before.  While I can't accept any one post as a solution, I hope I've helped by giving everyone Kudos to your input, acknowledging your contributions, effort, and time in helping me.