Map Locator with DD Map Book

11-02-2010 12:41 PM
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III
With my map series book in 9.3 I had a map locator.  This data frame was zoomed into the highlighted feature(page) and one page buffer and as I move to different pages in my map book, the locator data frame moved with it.  Now with the new 10 data driven map book option, I can't seem to get the locator data frame to move.  I used the help instructions creating a locator map for a map book.  But with these you have to be zoomed out to full extent of your index layer to make this work, since the the map doesn't move only what is being selected.  I have an index layer with over a 100 features, so I cannot be zoomed out that far.

Is there a way to be able to be able to zoom in and have the map locator update locations as I page thru the map book?????
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
Does the following get you at least part way allowing you to have a linked dataframe that works like a locator?

http://forums.esri.com/thread.asp?t=90856&f=993&c=93
0 Kudos
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III
David that is exactly what I wanted.  I am very happy that they didn't remove that feature completely when they changed the Map Series options, since this use to be part of it.  Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor
Very Helpful, Thanks for the directions. This should be included in the general documention for Data Driven Pages.

You can do this with the data frame extent options. In 10.0 there are new options that allow you to drive the extent of one data frame based on the extent of another data frame.
To make a locator map that automatically adjusts as you page through your map series try this:
1. Go to the properties dialog for your locator data frame and select the Data Frame tab.
2. In the Extent section at the top select "Other Data Frame" from the dropdown.
3. Now you should see options to "Derive the extent from another data frame's extent". Make sure the DDP data frame is selected in this dropdown (it might show a different data frame selected by default if you have more data frames in your map).
4. Set the margin options if you want a consistent margin, or select "Zoom to features that intersect the other data frame's extent" if you want to make sure surrounding features show. The latter is useful if you index layer is a rectangular grid, for example.

I hope that helps 🙂
0 Kudos
CaseyLindemuth
New Contributor
Excellent ... I agree that it should be included as part of the DD Map Book. Those of us who used the Identifier Box in the past need the inset and new users can have the option also.

Also is there a way for me to select the correct subject area at the same time?

Thanks

Gitfah
0 Kudos