labels with arrows

02-12-2014 03:07 PM
RahulRakshit
New Contributor
I want to add arrows over or after labels. The labels are for points located on a road.
In case no label exists, the arrow should not show up.
Please have a look at the graphic I've attached.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Create a new attribute for the arrow.  and use this as part of the Expression for the label

"<FNT name = 'Wingdings 3' size='17' >" &  [Arrow] & "</FNT>"

[Arrow] is the asc(##) character that looks like an arrow in Wingdings.

I have a situation where I need to label apartment number ranges in a very small area.  like #700 to 745

So I put in this for the expressoin.

[Description] & "<FNT name = 'Wingdings 3' size='17' >" &  [Arrow] & "</FNT>"&  [Description2]

The Character   is a left pointing arrow in Wingdings 3  is a right facing arrow

Here is what I do as a helper.

Create an excel spreadsheet and create 3 columns

First column make it 33, 34, 35...255  This is the complete range of ASC characters
Second and third column   =CHAR(33),  = CHAR(34) ...all the way to 255.  You can fill in the first two values and drag it down
Make the second column your favorite font like Arial or something

Make the third column Wingdings 3
Now you have a spreadsheet that shows you all the characters represented by Wingdings 3 and the corresponding Arial character

Now some characters like  Ð or �? are hard to find on you keyboard.  This is why we have the first column with the number.  you can press the ALT key and then 0 and  the number   ALT-0169 will result in a ©  If you don't include the 0 it will be �?� which is a different character.

I want to add arrows over or after labels. The labels are for points located on a road.
In case no label exists, the arrow should not show up.
Please have a look at the graphic I've attached.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
RahulRakshit
New Contributor
Hi rborchert.
Many thanks for the idea. I'll test it today.

Thanks
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
I have actually created a spreadsheet years ago with all the ESRI, NISC and other graphic fonts on our system and printed them out on 11 x 17

It has turned out to be tremendously helpful over the years to be able to see all the different symbols available at one time.

Especially when creating custom symbols.

Hi rborchert.
Many thanks for the idea. I'll test it today.

Thanks
0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III
The (Windows) Accessories/System Tools  Character Map tool also shows you all the symbols for your installed fonts. It also lets you copy and paste the one you choose, so you can skip the Alt- and character number step.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
What I like about the spreadsheet though is it allows you to see all 12,000 symbol options all at one time.  You can scan the printed sheets to find the symbol that you want.

The font set is some 54 fonts including WingDings.

The (Windows) Accessories/System Tools  Character Map tool also shows you all the symbols for your installed fonts. It also lets you copy and paste the one you choose, so you can skip the Alt- and character number step.
0 Kudos