Labeling Expression for website URL?

11-16-2012 06:15 AM
BugPie
by
Occasional Contributor III
Hello friends,

I have an issue where I need to provide a pdf map of the country where each state has a label. Each label comes from the attribute table. The field that contains the label is a website. Each state with a unique url.  I can label using the url, which allows the user to click on the label in adobe reader which will launch that website.

How can I use a vbscript or python script in the display expression to make the url only show partially, or to show a full alias such as the word "link", where the true url will still be launched?

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CPoynter
Hi Colli,

If you want the user to click on the state to open a URL, have you tried enabling the hyperlink option under properties for the layer? You can also export the PDF with attributes fields enabled. I assume that this might allow you to still access the URL.

Regards,

Craig
0 Kudos
BugPie
by
Craig - Good morning. Thanks for your reply. I do have the hyperlink option turned on, and working properly. However, this functionality does not carry over to a geopdf. Well, I have not figured out how, maybe this is something that ESRI can shed some light on. 

I have been using the geopdf (export with attributes) for this task. The problem I run into is that the link is not clickable, copy or paste etc in the attribute window within in Adobe Reader or Acrobat. The attribute table does show in adobe when I use the data model tree or object data tools, but it's pretty much a static image. I have not figured out how to allow users to copy and paste any record shown in the attribute table. Which woudl work fine for this task if that was the only way to go about it.

I'm left with my last option I think. I need help in writing a label expression, that will shorten the url in the label, but still allow for a user to click and connect to that website.  I have found some short vbscript that will truncate the url, but once that is exported to the pdf, the full ur is not red by adobe.  An example is, I have truncated the display label to only  display 10 characters. But when you hover over the lablel(url) in adobe, it will try to connect me to "www.califo" instead of the full address.

Anyone have an idea as to the code I woudl need to launch a website but not show it's true url on the label?
Thank you!
0 Kudos
BugPie
by
anyone out there have an idea for us?
0 Kudos