Is it necessary to install Data Store for Portal? What is the difference between the separate Data Store install and the data store built into ArcGIS Server?

03-05-2015 12:08 PM
DavidYamamoto
New Contributor

I'm trying to unsderstand the difference (or similarity) between the separate installation of Data Store for Portal and the data store that is build into ArcGIS Server. Do I need to install the separate Data Store component? I already have a data store and mangeded databases configured in ArcGIS server. The two seem to do the same thing. The documentation isn't clear about this. Thank you in advanced for your assistance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Hi David,

The ArcGIS Data store is an optional component which can be described as an optimized managed database for your portal. Hosted feature layers that use the ArcGIS Data store have a smaller memory footprint allowing you to publish thousands of services without the need for more hardware.

What is ArcGIS Data Store?—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS for Server

The data store tab in ArcGIS Server manager and ArcCatalog allows you register folders and databases to provide ArcGIS Server with a list of locations that the server administrator has verified the GIS server can access.

About registering your data with ArcGIS Server—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

Thanks,

-Dan

DavidYamamoto
New Contributor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for the clarification. This helps. I'm trying to publish feature layers/maps from ESRI Maps for Office via my Portal. The services show up but there is no data. I'm thinking either ArcGIS Server or Portal cannot write to a directory. Do you know anyting about this? Thank you again. David

0 Kudos
FrankPotempa
Occasional Contributor

Ok, Data Store is essentially an optimized managed database for storing hosted services. My follow up question on that is if we choose to use a SQL Server db as the managed database do we have the same functionality, specifically the ability to store web scenes as described here;

What is ArcGIS Data Store?—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

If not it would be a requirement to install and configure Data Store?

thankx

Frank

0 Kudos
FrankPotempa
Occasional Contributor

I think Im answering my own question here but after some research here is what I found in the Federation documentation for Portal 10.3.1.

Configure a hosting server—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

You can configure one of your federated ArcGIS Server sites to be a hosting server for your portal to allow portal members to do the following:

• Publish tile layers to the portal.
  • Publish feature layers to the portal.
  • Publish scene layers to the portal (ArcGIS Data Store only).
  • Add a zipped shapefile, CSV file, or GPS Exchange Format file to the portal map viewer.

So with a federated server using a enterprise geodb you can do all the above except "publish scene layers".

Any additional user insight on this product is welcomed.

Frank