Select to view content in your preferred language

Is anyone using Portal successfully right now?

04-16-2015 08:56 AM
VenusScott
Occasional Contributor III

At a meeting with an ESRI staff member, our organization was told that Portal is not being used in a production environment other than in huge Federal environments. We were told it is very complex (which I don't doubt) and that most organizations can achieve the same results with web configurations and ArcGIS Online. So my question is "Is your organization utilizing Portal in a production environment successfully right now?"

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
PatrickJackson
New Contributor III

It is worth noting that Portal is intended to be an internal solution. There may be some means to get this working for external clients and it might be technically possible. This is where AGOL comes in and performs very well. Your initial plans are spot on Venus.

VenusScott

You folks have been very helpful! I really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

FYI, new user success story using Portal for ArcGIS + Collector for ArcGIS,

Field crew gets online information with map-portal — Medium

Enjoy,

0 Kudos
VenusScott

<sigh>This Websense category is filtered: Blogs and Personal Sites</sigh>

0 Kudos
LeeHarding
New Contributor III

First thanks for this discussion, I've saved a lot of research time (what is ArcGIS Portal?) scrolling through these posts in five minutes, and noticed this when looking for something else.

I fully understand why we have security. I've always been an intranet and internet are two separate things subscriber and save time and money and headaches that way. Yes to AWS if needed, yes to AGOL for sure, and yes to ArcGIS server internally.

Anyways, try another browser / firefox / chrome on the Websense thing, they didn't get to that yet...

GISSupport3
Regular Contributor

Just to add to the chorus of yes that there seems to be a conserted effort by "ESRI" to push an AGO solution as opposed to Portal.

This seems to have recently reduced slightly, perhaps as ESRI sees people using Portal differently to what they expected.

The named user pricing model is crazy and likely to hamper "licensed" application of what is a great tool.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

I found that if you want to take advantage of ArcGIS Editor Tracking with your internal Active Directory users you have to install Portal for ArcGIS.

I'm hoping to hear at this year's user conference that ESRI removes portal's named user pricing model or at least matches ELA user count of AGOL.

JohnsonKosgei
New Contributor II

Yes, we have used Portal successfully since it's early states albeit teething challenges associated to a new product (version 3.6). There have been deliberate action from Esri's side to reduce its complexity, make upgrading seamless, and improve on integration with other enterprise tools such as identity stores and SAML 2.0. That being said, it has been a great tool to share content and in general create awareness of location analytics across the organization.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

FYI, another user success story using Portal for ArcGIS,

Spatially Mapping Chick-fil-A Restaurants

Enjoy,

JacobBoyle

As Derek said above, Seneca has been using Portal successfully across our entire enterprise for a little over a year now.  We have ours configured for onsite and offsite access for our employees. Portal was fairly straight forward to deploy, and many of the hiccups we had a year ago have been resolved, either through bug fixes or major improvements to documentation. 

Portal serves as our spatial backbone, we are running several applications, both esri and 3rd party, that rely on the data provided.  We have about a 75% user rate currently, with the majority of those people using it everyday.