I am upgrading from ArcGIS Portal 10.4.1 to 10.5.1

07-14-2017 01:05 PM
BanchanaPandey
New Contributor III

I am upgrading from ArcGIS Portal 10.4.1 to ArcGIS Portal 10.5.1

In the step where I create the initial administrator account, the dialog doesn't show the information about where the content directory location is pointed at. Screenshot attached error1. This screen shot is from the time when i upgraded to 10.4.1. This time, when I am upgrading to 10.5.1, i don't see the red box highlighted part, but I see all items from beginning with First Name and ending at Answer. I am thinking that this must be the cause of the two issues that I am seeing when I complete the installation. the issues explained below:

When I complete the installation, I am seeing these two issues below.

Screen shot below: error2  "Unable to configure the Portal with Web Adaptor. Please make sure that the Portal and WebAdaptor are of the same version".

ArcGIS Portal and WebAdaptor, both are of the same version and i did make sure that before i started with the protal upgrade, i logged in to the portaladmin and unregistered the web adaptor as well.

screen shot below: error3 You are not authorized to use this resource

when I try logging into the portal admin with the initial administrator account, i get his message You are not authorized to use this resource. But using the same account, i can log in to the portal home just fine and see all the contents etc.

Any ideas anybody, specially from esri? Any information is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

13 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

We're moving towards the Portal upgrade behaving like the Server upgrade, where there is less information to enter and more of a "one-click" upgrade process.  For example, for Server, you don't define another admin account and you don't enter the location for the config-store and directories.  Portal will behave the same way eventually and graying out the content directory is one of the steps.

Not sure why the WA would complain about the version being different.  You can verify that both are of 10.5.1 when looking at Programs and Features?

Take a look at the Portal logs on disk to determine why you can't log into Portaladmin.

BanchanaPandey
New Contributor III

Hi Jonathan,

I am glad this has grabbed attention from one of the genius product engineers.

This has become a more bigger issue for us now, as we don't see a road ahead with the upgrade process from 10.4.1 to 10.5.1.

If I revert back the upgrade to 10.4.1 version(which works without any issues so far luckily) and everything  works the way it should. I can log in to portal admin and I am able to configure the 10.4.1 portal with 10.4.1 web adaptor.

But when I upgrade to 10.5.1, it doesn't work the same way.

Here are few things that I would like to bring to your attention, although I already mentioned it in my original question.

1. In the page where I create the initial administrator account (IAA), I don't see the greyed out location for the content directory as I had seen during my 10.4.1 upgrade previously.

2. I get past the creation of IAA fine and as I try to log in to portal admin, I can't log in. I get resource not authorized message.

3. Then the third one, like you noted, I am unable to configure the portal with web adaptor. I get the message about the versions being different. They are absolutely the same version 10.5.1 as that's what I downloaded from myesri account for our organization.

I am working with an esri support person on this case and I have provided all the log files, information to him.

While he troubleshoots on his end, it would be highly appreciated if somebody from the core product team looks at this issue as well so that we can identify this bizarre situation that we are experiencing during what should have been a simple upgrade from 10.4.1 to 10.5.1.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SusmitaDuncan
New Contributor II

Did you get this resolved? We are also planning a full HA Prod 10.4.1 --> 10.5.1 upgrade, and in prep I just attempted to upgrade a 10.5 Portal (small test site) to 10.5.1 following the directions here Upgrade ArcGIS Server—Installation Guides (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise . After I ran the 10.5.1 Portal setup.exe, it says I no longer have a site and in the log files these error messages: "The process monitor did not find the connection to the configuration store. The site may not have been initialized. After the site is initialized, the check for database processes will be reattempted."  and  "com.esri.arcgis.portal.admin.core.SiteNotInitializedException: The portal site has not been initialized. Please create a new site and try again." over and over again

We have the config store local on the machine, on the same drive that portal is installed on (E: - as C: is reserved for OS only per our standard Enterprise VM images).

0 Kudos
SusmitaDuncan
New Contributor II

Just an update, we resolved this, apparently the Portal upgrade process didn't complete so had to manually initiate the rest of it.

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

What do you mean "manually initiate the rest of it."  We are stuck in the upgraded to Portal 10.5.1 and now the portaladmin login no longer works.  Get a

You are not authorized to use this resource.

message trying to connect to /portaladmin resource.  None of our users are able to connect to /portaladmin anymore.  This occurred after we changed the ssl cert  After it applied the cert we can no longer log in.  Really don't want to go backwards and uninstall 10.5.1 and reinstall 10.4.1.

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
ZGUMGDY
New Contributor II

I had the same issues after changing HTTPS only settings. None of our users was able to connect to /portaladmin and error message "You are not authorized to use this resource" was displayed. But at the same time we was able to login to main Portal site. I restarted Portal and everything is working OK now. 

0 Kudos
DamianSlee
New Contributor II

Having this issue also after importing a SSL certificate into portaladmin.

after hours of diagnosing we are seeing this warning when logging in.   In short, because the certificate only has the DNS alias, not the machine name as well, it won't generate a login token.    I don't think network certificates should be related to generating login tokens, but it is.   perhaps internally /portaladmin is invoking a /generateToken service

have not found a fix.  might be restoring some servers from backup.

<Msg time="2017-09-13T14:14:21,194" type="WARNING" code="219999" source="Portal Admin" process="24060" thread="14" methodName="" machine="mymachinename" user="" elapsed=""> Failed to generate a token for user 'portaladmin'. javax.net.ssl.SSLException: hostname in certificate didn't match:

0 Kudos
DamianSlee
New Contributor II

I managed to restore access to my /portaladmin after breaking it by importing SSL certificate and setting it as the default certificate.

edit Portals tomcat server.xml, and revert the keyAlias="portal".  it was set to the alias of the certificate I imported.

D:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\runtime\tomcat\conf\server.xml

<Connector SSLEnabled="true" URIEncoding="UTF-8" clientAuth="false" connectionTimeout="20000" connectionUploadTimeout="3600000" disableUploadTimeout="false" keyAlias="portal" keystoreFile="../../../etc/ssl/portal.ks" keystorePass="portal.secret" maxHttpHeaderSize="65535" maxPostSize="10485760" maxThreads="150" port="7443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" scheme="https" secure="true" sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.2,TLSv1.1,TLSv1" sslProtocol="TLS"/>

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the exact same issue after setting the SSL certificate to one I had imported. Reverting the portalAlias in D:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\runtime\tomcat\conf\server.xml (and restarting the Portal service) resolved the issue for me.

0 Kudos