How do you create xy points from address data?

04-28-2013 05:51 PM
CeciliaViloria
New Contributor
Hi,
I need to create xy points to represent certain facilities. The data I have to create these points are the following:

• Address data for the facilities which includes street address but no lat/long data

• A polyline file of the road networks. This includes the street name, direction, type, city, and census district info (e.g. code and names)

• Polygon map of FSAs

I am uncertain of how many points I will need to create - it may be hundreds. Can I create these points quickly by using the road network data (if so, how?), or will I have to manually digitize all of my points? Is there a way I can tell ArcGIS to create the points for me along the road network polyline file?

Thanks
Cecilia
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

The process of turning an address into a point is known as geocoding, I suggest you take a look at this help to get you started.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
You may be able to create it quick and easy using online geocoding services.

You should have a table that contains

Address
City
State
Zip
Zip+4 if available
Country

the address should not have things like suite or apartment.  that should be an address2 field which you will not use.

Start ArcGIS and add the table to the  session.

Click on the list by source button so you can see the table.

Right click on the table and select GeoCode Addresses.

A window will pop up prompting you use select an address locator.  If you have a table like the one I specified select

10.0 North American Geocode Service or North American GeoCode Service.  You can select different ones and a window will pop up prompting you to select which columns have the required data.

If you name them as the service looks for them(as I have them above) it should automatically find them.

The more data you have the more accurate it will be.

One of the drawbacks of geocoding is it is not 100% accurate.  It tends to get close but often will not be dead on. 

There are more advanced methods of geocoding but they involve creating accurate center line data that has the address ranges in it.  And the smaller your center lines segments are the more accurate it is.

Hi,
I need to create xy points to represent certain facilities. The data I have to create these points are the following:

• Address data for the facilities which includes street address but no lat/long data

• A polyline file of the road networks. This includes the street name, direction, type, city, and census district info (e.g. code and names)

• Polygon map of FSAs

I am uncertain of how many points I will need to create - it may be hundreds. Can I create these points quickly by using the road network data (if so, how?), or will I have to manually digitize all of my points? Is there a way I can tell ArcGIS to create the points for me along the road network polyline file?

Thanks
Cecilia
0 Kudos